Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Child with Barky cough

Okay ladies I really need your opinions on this,

Dcg gets dropped off this morning, about 15 mins later, she lets out this Barky (croupy sounding) cough. I can hear a " rattle" sounding coming from her chest. Not at a ful blown wheeze. I sent mom a text right away, she text me back saying she was fine yesterday, but she didn't see her this morning, as she leaves early for work, and asked me to keep my eyes on her. Which of course I am doing.
    She ate lunch fine, she's sleeping now, has coughed a few times, no fever as of yet, played fine all morning.
    My question, do I tell them to have her checked out and not to bring her tomorrow?
    I'm concerned since, this family is hearing impaired. Dad no hearing what so ever, mom is 95% hearing impaired. But dcg hears fine. Dad can't even hear the sound of the cough or rattle/wheeze. Do I wait and text later tonight asking how she is? I just don't know how to handle this.

Please help me make the right judgement call.

Expansive...
    My health policy states any child with a barky or wheezy or gagging cough will be sent home and must stay home the next day. If they can't hear, what do they do if it becomes full blown croup in the middle of the night and she can't breathe? I've been to the ER several times with both of my kids in the middle of the night and they stayed all night in hospital getting Ventolin treatments via mask. It can turn very serious quickly, and I am not hearing impaired. Send her home with instructions to see a doctor. She might need puffers or antibiotics. Better safe than sorry.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Croup and RSV are going around right now. I would have them take her to the clinic with the idea of our caregiver said the sound wasn't good but we can't hear it so please tell us if it is ok or not.

Outgoing
    I would update the parents on the child's condition upon pickup. If the parents can't hear her properly, like Mommy said above, it can get bad fast. I wouldn't want to tell them what to do, but remind them that if the child is sick, then they can't come. I would hope that hint would be enough to get the child to a doctor. My son has had croup a few times and that barking cough is awful. he just spent the month of December battling bronchitis with antibiotics and puffers.

Starting to feel at home...
    Thanks everyone,

I will be asking mom at pick up, to take her to the clinic tonight or tomorrow to be looked at. She has tolerated the day, but I want peace of mind. My own daughter has landed in CHEO a few occasions having to be put on ventolin masks and steroids, so I always am a little more cautious with any breathing issues.
    I wanted to make sure I wasn't over stepping in this case.