Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Contract/Policy enforcement- a vent

Over the Christmas holidays I did an overhaul of my contract. I had informed all parents in December that there would be some policy changes at contract renewal time (Which is every year in January) like changes to payment for vacations/time off being the biggest one, as well as a few other things, and stricter enforcement of the contract in terms of late pick up and pay. No one had an issue with it, except one family. This is the family that has been with me the longest, and the one that i have been the most lenient with, this was because i have known them for a long time. I didn't have a contract with them (the only family), but they had a copy of my handbook and followed it in the most part. They didn't pay me when the child didn't come but that was my call and i was fine with that.

Recently, i have found myself slowly and subtlety been taken advantage of. Like parents not enforcing rules and routine at home and expecting everything would go well at daycare (in terms of eating, sleeping) and wondering why the child wasn't integrating well. Like promising they would send the child part time during mom's mat leave but sent her once a week, after most of the summer off (10 wks). During that time the child has started potty training (ok) and stopped napping, and dropped it on me one day at the child's drop off. That's against my 'all pre-schoolers nap' policy but they assumed I would go along with it because since she was only coming part time. They said it was on their pediatrician's recommendation because the kid is a terrible sleeper (But after her transition period, she was a great sleeper for me...but see above...do you wonder why?) I didn't hide that i was irritated. I told them that they should have consulted with me before just dropping it on me. They insisted the child would be ok if i just put them in front of the Tv so i could have my lunch and rest/clean up etc. The kid is a good kid but that's not the point!!!

Now they have issues with my contract. They were a little put off that i have made them sign a contract but everyone is on contract. Mom sat here for an hour and read it as i was busy with the kids, i kept telling her to take it home and take your time and bring it signed next week. They tried to 'what if' everything! 'What if they have a fever with no other symptom, can i still send her? (not likely) What if i send both kids to you, will you give sibling discount? (Sorry, i can't do that) What if hubby gets laid off/goes on unemployment, can i still keep the contract but not send them and not pay? (uh no) Do i still have to pay for stats and holidays? (yes) I never had to pay half rate for vacation before, why do i have to now?......Also, the child is always missing time off due to being sick. Without exaggeration, the child is off sick every month, including twice in December and twice in January. The kid gets sick a lot and often, if other kids catch it, and mom thinks their kid got it from the other kids.

I gave them the contract to sign and return weeks ago. I have yet to receive it. I told them i needed it today. I was told today at drop off that the other parent has yet to sign it! I said it has to come tomorrow!!. I have put my foot down and i know they were surprised, but hey, i have to set things straight or else i will totally get walked all over. I am really fed up. I am not sure what i want to do at this point. I want to give them the chance to come around but I am not sure if i want to continue with them. I don't want to be cold and write them off saying "hey i know i can fill the spot', i want to be tactful on how to handle it because, like i said, i have known the parents for a long time. Help please!

Starting to feel at home...
    As far as the contract goes... I would hand them a letter that says something Long the lines of

"Fully signed and initialled contract must be returned by (--- date---). Failure to return signed contract by (---date---)will be considered your two weeks weeks notice, and your last day of care will be on (--date two weeks from deadline date--)."

I renew my contracts every jan and it always includes a letter.

Euphoric !
    Yup all contract renewals go out with a letter stating " contracts and policy books must be sign, dated and returned by xxxxx. Any contract and policy book not returned signed by this date will signify that care is no longer required and your two weeks notice will begin"

Give her a writen letter with a deadline. Either they want care or they don't.

Euphoric !
    I don't send a letter home with my contracts. I just redo it in December and send it home telling all parents that this is the new contract to follow effective January 1, there have been changes and to read it over and let me know if they have any questions.

The new contract is the new rules and that is that. I actually had an issue come up lately of a parent not reading a change in my contract and she ended up upset about one of her bills. I emailed her a copy of the change in the contract and then she said she must have missed it in the contract. Oh well, now you know. I stuck to my guns and now she knows.

I suggest you stick to your guns as well. Give them a date that it must be returned. The letter saying it must be back but a certain date or you will consider that their 2 weeks notice will get their butt in gear to sign it. If she keeps giving you grief about signing it then just flat out tell them that you have others interested in the spot that are willing to pay and follow your contract. All families have to follow the same rules.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Stick to your guns. I've had to enforce my policies twice, and both times they ended up leaving. BUT, I would have resented it, had I not stood up for myself and our working relationship would have suffered. I'm glad I did it, and in both cases, I replaced them really quickly.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kimg For This Useful Post:

You don't really need another reply, but like everyone said, give them their deadline. If they really want to stay with you, they will sign it if that's the only option.