Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Sleep training for 16 month old

I have a 16 month boy who has been in my care since 12 months. He was very very attached to mom and cried the first 3 weeks straight. He is now very attached to me and will cry if i even leave the room to pee. Up until now he has been sleeping with me holding him then putting him on a little spiderman pull out couch. I really want to get him to sleep in a playpen upstairs so i can do my dished and tiding without waking him. Problem is he is going to cry non stop. My question is is it okay to let another persons child Cry It Out? and to what extent? any suggestions?

Expansive...
    This is only my opinion....I have no problem letting my daycare kids cry it out.

That being said, I would have never cuddled him to sleep in the first place. In my interviews I discuss napping with clients so everyone knows how things work here at daycare.

I have a little guy here who was the same way. He was the sibling of another daycare boy so I agreed to take him. Mom completely understood that he would be crying it out here...and he did so for quite awhile ha ha!

I would suggest speaking with the parents to come up with a plan. A child that age needs to know how to self soothe and you would need Mom on board for it to work.

Euphoric !
    I never ever rock, cuddle or let a child sleep on me. Nap time is simple. I announce it is nap time, kids run to the room. I put everyone in bed, cover them up and leave the room. If they cry then so be it, they cry until they fall asleep. I have (for newer ones) gone in after 10-15 minutes to lay the child back down (I don't say a word). It is hard to start with to listen to the screaming but it will stop as they learn to self soothe and that you aren't going to come running as soon as they make a noise.

I know harder said than done lol. You need to break the habit and quick.

Euphoric !
    I never ever rock a child to sleep either ....each child sleeps in a pack n play and they are in each if my bedrooms so they all have their own room as well I have fans running in the rooms and one in the hall and I just put them in, say good night, shut the door, and walk away. I don't go back either till nap time is over .... Sleep or don't ... Their choice!

Outgoing
    Oh my goodness! You've done that for 4 months? Poor you!

I agree with the others, cry it out. If it makes you feel better to go back in every 5 minutes you can do so, but I've found that it takes them longer to "get it" when you do. Try to make it a real point to not speak to him when you go to check, keep the lights down, just shush him, a quick hug (without picking him up), lay down again and cover with blankets. He'll get it eventually, especially if he's had consistent naps with you holding him. Just try to stick with the schedule you've already created.

When it's wake up time make a big deal of turning on the lights and saying "hello! Did you have a good nap!"
    Last edited by 2cuteboys; 01-28-2014 at 01:39 PM.

Expansive...
    Yup, let them cry it out. In a playpen in a room by themselves. Perhaps with a fan or music or white noise machine. No rocking. Check on them every 10-15mins and lay them back down without conversation. They'll get it. Just be consistent.

Shy
    I also let them cry it out. In their own room in a pack-n-play. I also include a blanket or stuffie from home and have on occasion used white noise. I check on them and lay them back down, I usually tell them it's time to sleep the first time and then nothing after.
    All of my crew's past & present, nap....even the ones who didn't before starting daycare. Just be consistent and it will come.

Euphoric !
    I do basically the same as others. I used to have just an audio baby monitor but I don't like to hear them cry and not know the reason so I got a video baby monitor so I could see what they were doing. It really helps as I don't have to go in the room unless I can see they need something. If I hear or see them awake and they don't go back to bed(which is very rare), I go and get them. I wouldn't keep my own child in a playpen for that long if they were awake so I don't do that. Thankfully I have children who sleep 2 to 2.5 hours!

I once had a child climb out of her playpen!! I didn't have the video monitor at that time so I'm glad I went back in and checked! She's never done that again thank goodness

I'm dealing w/ a similar nap issue for my 16mo DCK. Mom gets her as soon as she makes a peep, so her nap at home is usually less than 30 minutes. She goes to sleep fine, but wakes up after 1 -1 1.5 hours. If I get her, she is loud enough to wake up others. If I don't, I have to listen to her scream for 30 minutes. I keep hoping she'll grow out of it, but she's been her for 3 months and I'm slowly loosing it. She's such a sweet kid otherwise, and her mom's work schedule is amazing, so I really want to hang in there but UGH.

Thanks ladies, I totally know better than to have started cuddling him to sleep lol i just did what worked at the time. My daughter was at the stairs asking to go to bed by 11 months so i never dealt with such an attachment issue. I will attempt it tomorrow!!! thanks again