Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    Sorry Fun&care - I don't agree. Neglect would be not feeding a child. The parents know that snack is at 10 and 3 and lunch is at 12. If the child is hungry in between then to bad. No different than when they will be at school. I feed the children what they should be eating as far as portion sizes but that is it. I am overweight and certainly don't want to overfeed the children. None of my kids are skin and bones so no worries!

Yes, I have had the big eaters and they have always been girls. I do give seconds at snack and lunch, but it is a smaller portion than the initial serving. My snacks and meals are about 3 hours apart and I always have water available to the kids because sometimes thirst masks itself as hunger.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fun&care View Post
    You have to be VERY careful here as not feeding a hungry child could be considered neglect. Personally I do not refuse to give extra helpings if they ask for more. If you are finding it that expensive than it might be time to reevaluate your rates.
    I don't think that anyone is saying that they aren't feeding their dcks. I think this is more a question of serving sizes and the food choices being offered. I found the links above good and I follow those pretty closely. I don't have kids leaving the table hungry.

And I don't hear complaints about being hungry often, but when I do it is usually close to our morning snack. I think that breakfast is rushed at home, or eaten in the car, on those days. I can't safely supervise unscheduled eating times so they don't happen here. Children are reminded that snack time is soon, and if need be I bump the time up. I expect kids to be hungry at lunch. We play hard and spend a lot of time outside.

I think when it comes down to it, you can recognize a child who is eating because they are hungry versus a child who is eating out of boredom or because everyone else is still eating.
    Last edited by nschildcare; 01-30-2014 at 05:07 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nschildcare For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Just to clarify I never said kids should get to snack whenever they want. My post was in response to just regular snacks and meals. I don't understand how you can refuse a child who is still hungry and wants seconds. Unless you are feeding them junk I don't think it's likely they are going to be overweight as some suggested.

Euphoric !
    I think the original poster was was questioning if a child that eats two full bananas plus other items at snack time was too much and if perhaps he is just eating cause others are eating and not because he is hungry. I think it is far too much food for a toddler or even a 4 yr old to be eating at snack time and yes I would limit his food because some kids don't have the "I'm full" trigger and gorge themselves and this will lead to obesity. The more food you stuff in the more food you require. Plus it takes approx 20 mins for the food to reach the stomach and feel full. I have had all my kids for over a year and I know how much they can eat and when they are just being gluttons .... I can feed a full lunch and if I offer bread they will eat bread till the whole loaf is gone .... They just keep yelling "more bread" no way they need that much so they get what I feel is an appropriate amount and that's it. They never want extras of the good stuff anyway just the carbs!

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Fun&care View Post
    Just to clarify I never said kids should get to snack whenever they want. My post was in response to just regular snacks and meals. I don't understand how you can refuse a child who is still hungry and wants seconds. Unless you are feeding them junk I don't think it's likely they are going to be overweight as some suggested.

A child that I had in the past didn't have the "I'm full" trigger. He loved food and loved to eat and he was only just about 2 when he left me. His doctor actually told his mom that we needed to cut down on the fruit as that was making him larger. Both mom and I would give him extra fruit if he was "hungry" and the doctor said he was getting too much. So yes, anything (healthy or junk) in excessive amounts can be bad for you.

I find overeating or giving a child too much can happen when we give out portions of their meal in bite sized pieces/portions. We don't actually see how much we have given them all at once so it's easy to overfeed a child that won't tell you when they are full. With children that I need to give half their meal at a time I now put their whole amount on a plate so I can see it and than give them portions at a time until it's gone. I also agree with thirst masking itself as hunger.

According to the links I provided, it looks like a 3-4 year old only needs approx 5-7 cups of food ALL day. I mentioned weight because I am overweight. A child has a small stomach and we if we are "training" a 4 year old to eat 2 bananas plus other items at snack, what is their stomach size gonna want when they are 8,12, 14 etc? Sure there are times they are going through growth spurts and will need extra food but on a normal daily basis, I would say that 2 banana's plus other items is excessive for a toddler's snack. Just my opinion...

Shy
    Thanks for al the feedback! I really don't want to limit what they're having either, to an extent, it's good to see a comparison of what everyone else is serving. I think limiting how many servings of afternoon snack like ArtsandCrafts said is a good idea, I've had feedback from qute a few parents that their kids won't eat supper or just pick at their food.

I do at least 2 out of 4 food groups at snacks and 3 out of 4 food groups at meals. I do not serve fruit juice period, milk (or alternatives for those who need) and water only. Water is available all day in their water bottles/sippy cups and milk is served at meals (breakfast and lunch), water only at snack.

For example, yesterday's menu was this:
    Breakfast: Wholegrain blueberry waffles cut into sticks with unsweetened applesauce to dip and milk to drink
    AM Snack: Ants on a log (celery with PB and raisins) with water to drink
    Lunch: Pot roast with potatoes, carrots, celery and milk to drink (I tend to try to cook big batches at supper the night before and serve the next day. I have a hot lunch 3 days out of 5 at least)
    PM Snack: Fruit 'pizzas' wholegrain graham crackers with light strawberry cream cheese and diced fruit 'toppings' with water to drink

The first serving size is always a good child sized portion, seconds etc. are smaller as I find most of the kids think they're still hungry, have a couple bites and then are full. If any of the kids complain that they're hungry between meals/snacks I tell them to drink their water, lots of times the body is thirsty but we think we're hungry. And usually it's because they decided they didn't want to eat what I served the meal/snack before. They all know that I don't serve snacks in between. One of my rules is that they must finish what's on their plate (or if there's something they don't like they have to try as many bites as they are old) before they can ask for more.

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayola kiddies View Post
    I think the original poster was was questioning if a child that eats two full bananas plus other items at snack time was too much and if perhaps he is just eating cause others are eating and not because he is hungry. I think it is far too much food for a toddler or even a 4 yr old to be eating at snack time and yes I would limit his food because some kids don't have the "I'm full" trigger and gorge themselves and this will lead to obesity. The more food you stuff in the more food you require. Plus it takes approx 20 mins for the food to reach the stomach and feel full. I have had all my kids for over a year and I know how much they can eat and when they are just being gluttons .... I can feed a full lunch and if I offer bread they will eat bread till the whole loaf is gone .... They just keep yelling "more bread" no way they need that much so they get what I feel is an appropriate amount and that's it. They never want extras of the good stuff anyway just the carbs!
    Crayola, I'm the same way with additional helpings, they have to eat everything they have first and then they can have seconds. With seconds I limit everything other than fruits and veggies. So one more smaller helping of crackers, just as an example, and veggies and if they're still hungry, more veggies. Usually they tell me they don't want more veggies, to which I tell them they're not actually hungry if they're not hungry for what's offered lol

Expansive...
    I have a dcg who's mom sent 4-5 snacks ( cookies , granola bars , fruit roll ups , crackers ) as well as she ate my 10 am snack and lunch and 3 pm snack !!!
    I do not serve any of those items , my own eat real food !! Why eat fruit roll up when you can eat fruit ??!! I serve as unprocessed as possible !!!
    I raised a football player , he ate big but healthy ! So I know how to feed a child , but get frustrated with what is considered food nowadays !!!
    So I started feeding her the snacks mom packed , it wasn't a big deal to anyone else !!!
    I serve cheese quesadilla , pb and banana pinwheels ect with fruit and veggies ! Homemade spaghetti , ww pasta and real cheese !! Not roast wow !!! I am impressed !!! I am not always sure kids are fed breakfast !!! I agree food prices are more than I expected !! But I agree with feeding a healthy amount and letting them wait !!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I still don't agree that children need 2nd helpings. Each to their own though. I know what the kids will eat and what they should have. Majority of the time it isn't the healthy stuff the kids want seconds of anyways. which means they aren't really hungry to begin with.

I watched a program once on childhood obesity. They were testing to see if children would know when they are full. They fed 50 kids a child sized portion and 50 kids a large portion. Majority of the kids who were fed a large portion finished the whole thing. Then they showed them all on the playground playing afterwards. The children who overate were slower and were done playing faster.
    Last edited by mickyc; 01-30-2014 at 12:11 PM.