Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Shy

Do your day home kids eat like horses too??

I'm begining to think that I need to limit the food I serve to my day home kids!

I'm a firm believer that kids will eat until they are full and can listen to their bodies in that regard, but I'm starting to wonder if being in a group setting is hindering that ability in the kids. At snack time some children are eating 3rds and 4ths, my food bills are getting ridiculous and more importantly I don't feel they are eating out of hunger; I think they're eating because the next one is still eating, so they don't want to miss out on something, or in one child's case, I feel their eating more to try to keep it from the other kids.

I don't serve junk, I follow the Canadian food guide, snacks and meals always have fruits and/or veggies, but I really don't see how a 4 year old needs to be eating 2 big bananas plus other items at snack time. Really, it's not all my kids, just a couple, but the rules have to be consistent for all the kids.

What do you do with your kids? I serve two meals and two snacks daily, not everyone is here for breakfast.

Starting to feel at home...
    Mine are similar. I serve a similar menu to yours, very healthy, lots of fruits and veggies, etc. I do morning snack (9 am), lunch 11:30) and snack (3 pm).

I limit snack to one serving and lunch to 2 servings (as long as everything is eaten). Lunch is the only time that I will allow second helpings. If they are still hungry I just remind them that lunch, or dinner if the case may be, is soon and they can eat then.

I am in the process of raising my rates due to my grocery bill. My dcks are between the ages of 13 mos and 2.5 y. The daycare kids eat as much as my 10 yo.

Expansive...
    Oh I hear you ! I also have these ferocious eaters that eat me out of house and home....lol

I swear that almost all my dcps described their appetite as "Small" when they registered and filled out the profile. Well....I am often giving thirds and fourths too. I have talked to a couple of the parents to ask whether they felt I should limit the food but I guess our day just makes them hungry. They sure eat well at daycare and then the parents often say they barely eat dinner. We have a morning snack, a hot lunch with fruit or veggies and then another afternoon snack.

We eat almost every 2 - 2.5 hours and boy these kids can eat.

The kids often ask for more or seconds so by thirds I try to wait a few minutes in between their request and actually giving it to see if their stomachs just need to settle....but then I ask again and see if they are still hungry and 90% of the time they say yes.

I make sure they eat all their fruits or veggies before asking for more pasta or crackers etc so I know they are getting the healthy stuff in them too so I just figured it is my luck of the draw that they are either 1) just in love with my fabulous meals and cooking or 2) hungry little monsters during daycare hours.

I often read that other daycares can serve food like grapes and yogurt without a grain or veggies and dip...or rice cakes....... I think if I did a meal without a grain or something filling they would be having 7-8 servings...and then ask for something to eat in between I don't allow snacks in between....none of the kids are chubby in the least and I think they are burning it off.

I know I would give more if my own kids asked and I feel bad to leave a kid if they are hungry. I don't want to put any sort of vibe out there that I would think they are overeating or have to watch their weight. They say body issues start very young so I try to be chill about them asking for seconds, thirds and the occasional fourth serving. It would be nice to raise my price but I just haven't been brave enough to do it
    Last edited by Spixie33; 01-29-2014 at 11:40 AM.

Euphoric !
    I serve one serving and that is it. I sometimes have leftovers at lunch (not often as I cook only what is needed) and any child who is done first gets the choice if they want it. Other than that it is one serving only. My kids never tell me they are hungry in between probably more so because they know they have to wait anyways. There is no way I would let a child have 2 banana's and another item.

Starting to feel at home...
    At morning snack they never get a second helping. It's always 1 banana, 1 yogurt, lately - 1 Danino drink, etc. but just one. Lunch I give seconds if they want it. I have three kids (who especially at lunch) will eat two helpings and sometimes three. I let them eat because one is a tiny girl 2 yrs. old - a lightweight, one is a baby 13 months old and I spoke to the Mom, and the other one just eats (he's a boy). Afternoon snack is fruit. Often two helpings if they want it.

Euphoric !
    Depending on what it is weather I give seconds ..... During lunch if there is a bit left over and the first one done wants more then they get it but I do not make more ... Like extra sandwiches ... I make homemade soup and once I dole it out if there is a bit more I willing give it. But I have cut back the aft snack as parents were saying they can't get them to eat dinner. So just a piece (serving) of fruit and something else.... Never would I give one kid two full bananas .... 1/2 is all the get here.... Then maybe some pita and hummus or peanut butter.

I only serve fruit and milk during morning snack and every body eats child size amounts. At lunch they eat as much as they want which is usually A LOT. During afternoon snack, I serve usually another fruit, dairy and/or a starchy food and they usually child size amounts. It's only during lunch when they eat A LOT and I do not limit the amount of food at that time or during morning snack (in the rare occasion someone wants tons of fruit), but in the afternoon if I see someone eating way to much I cut it off so they can have dinner with their family.

Euphoric !
    My dck's are extremely small eaters compared to some of yours lol. They never complain about being hungry in between lunch and snacks and they are all of average weight except one who is not huge but is bigger than the other kids. They can only eat as much as you serve so I would suggest cutting back on that. I even have kids who give me their plate when they're done and there is still food left on it. I have only had one child who didn't have that "I'm full" trigger and he was the biggest child I had.

I would guess that mine eat about 1/2 to 1 cup of food for snacks(as an example, half a banana and 3-4 crackers or a piece of toast with 3-4 strawberries) and about 1.5 cups-2 cups of food for lunch (today was homemade mac and cheese with broccoli, carrots and cauliflower mixed in, fruit salad and a yogurt cup)

I can't even eat 2 bananas so to me that is excessive for a child. I will dish out lunch and if there is extra's and not enough for another meal than I hand it out but usually once it's gone it's gone. I am overweight so I think I am more conscious as to how much I give the kids because I don't want them to be overweight.

Euphoric !

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    You have to be VERY careful here as not feeding a hungry child could be considered neglect. Personally I do not refuse to give extra helpings if they ask for more. If you are finding it that expensive than it might be time to reevaluate your rates.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post: