Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

All calling me mom!!

So I have a nearly 3 year old dcb who has some speech problems and has only recently started talking. He started to call me mom (he refers to all women and men as dad or mom) and this has led to all the others (2 or under) following me round and calling me mom aswell. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this? I have tried singing songs with our names in, correcting them every time, playing games where we give thing to people by using names, and if anything it's getting worse!!

I think it's normal. Just keep correcting them, and they'll eventually get it.

Euphoric !
    I agree, it's normal. Usually the older kids find it funny if they accidentally call me mom and the younger ones call me mom until they learn how to say my name.

My 4 yr old dcg will call me mom just to be funny and if it goes on too long I start calling her by her older brothers name and that usually stops it. If they know it bothers you they will keep doing it lol

I have a 21/2 yr old dcg that calls me mom. I tried correcting her but now I just leave it. she will grow out of it and fortunately the others haven't picked up on it.

Expansive...
    My own 20 month old daughter calls one of the daycare parents "mom" and her daughter is starting to call me "mom" now that she is talking. Too funny, but they figure it out eventually.

It is normal for this to happen, how about getting them to call you Auntie? Just keep referring to yourself as what you want to be called, refer yourself in the third. I would make sure the parents are aware of what they call you so they know you are not encouraging it. I personally would feel glad if my daughter thought so highly of her provider to call her mommy! lol

Outgoing
    I agree, it's normal, they hear my kids calling me mom so they call me it too. I think that they think it's my name, My at one point they were all calling me 'mama', slowly as time has gone on, they all call me by my name, but one, who is actually learning to say my name. I just kept referring to myself by my name, and eventually go it. When they were old enough to understand, i explained that mommy and daddy are their parents and i am their daycare provider and I go by my own name.

Expansive...
    I worried about this too ! I only had one dcm who took offense !! My own dd of course calls me mama and now I have 3-4 who call me that too !! I always refer to myself as miss xxxxxxx lol my name !!! But they still do it !!! I got very cautious and uptight about it around the one mom and then said as she was leaving , " bye !! Momma see you tomorrow !!!!!" Ugh !!!! Lol she was not impressed !!! I seriously couldn't stop laughing as I closed the door , trying to explain I never call myself momma ugh whatever !!! Ever have a moment like that ??

Quote Originally Posted by Secondtimearound View Post
    I worried about this too ! I only had one dcm who took offense !! My own dd of course calls me mama and now I have 3-4 who call me that too !! I always refer to myself as miss xxxxxxx lol my name !!! But they still do it !!! I got very cautious and uptight about it around the one mom and then said as she was leaving , " bye !! Momma see you tomorrow !!!!!" Ugh !!!! Lol she was not impressed !!! I seriously couldn't stop laughing as I closed the door , trying to explain I never call myself momma ugh whatever !!! Ever have a moment like that ??

Yes, this is part of my problem, I'm sure the moms at the bus stop think I make them call me mom!!! One of the dcbs calls his mom by her name and me mom!! It is super awkward. The moms are all good about it, but as they are all learning to speak at the same time (even though they are different ages) it seems like they have all learnt the same!!!

I think you are right that they think it is my name, plus I have older children who call me mom!

It started before Christmas and has gotten gradually worse, I hope they catch on soon

Outgoing
    One parent took offense to their child calling me mama too. I couldn't help it, they hear my own kids call me that. i have NEVER referred to myself as mama to them. always by my name. Sorry to say but i thought it was silly that her child calling me mama made her upset. It's not like i am the new mom and you are no longer mom. I thought it was a huge compliment. If the kids are calling you mama, then that means they love you as much as their mom!