Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Day home/preschool advice please!

For all you experienced providers I d love love love some advice!

I am looking to start a preschool within my program and am advertising for 2-5's and following some Montessori but mostly Reggio philosophies. I will also have my daughter in care, she will be 1 year when I open (opening in July)

Here's my questions:
    1. I envision doing a lot of the 'big kid' stuff when she's napping, is that what you guys do? If not, any suggestions? Or schedule ideas?

2. I am at a loss for room set-up not. Id like to begin advertising now, even through I am months away from open. Most of the stuff I will be usually is not appropriate for her now. I.e. Sensory tables.

3. Any suggestions for set up when I am actually up and running. Some toys and items are not appropriate for her. -I.e. Toy cars.

Also are there any good websites, books, or other resources anyone could direct me to? In my city, calgary, there doesn't
    To seem to be much for community support...

Thank you so much!

Euphoric !
    My first question is if you are staying home to be with your baby, why would you want to spend your time doing something that takes you away from them. Yes we normally do the bulk of our activities while babies are sleeping so that when they are awake the big kids have freeplay and I can spend time with the baby. A playyard for your child will become your best friends if you stay with the older kids because it will keep the baby from getting stepped on or into anything she can't have.

I would be more inclined to open as a home daycare and do that for a year taking in children closer to your own child's age and then move them together into the preschool - be sure to lay that all out for the parents at the interview so they know that as their child ages they will have access to the more advanced programming.

Thank you for your playfelt. I am actually not doing it so that I can stay home with my daughter. I would eventually open a community preschool but would like to start in my home due to financial reasons, and an opportunity to get my feet set before jumping into it full time. As well, I am a teacher and am using my 2nd year of paternity to try this out, if it doesn't work I will go back to teacher.

Many posts I read discussed being able to successful run a preschool with little ones with tips that you suggested.

Should I tell parents I am a day home with preschool aspects?

Expansive...
    Yes, I agree with playfelt. I am a certified school teacher, and so is Playfelt. I started my daycare last spring, just as my younger daughter was turning one (I also have a 4 year old daughter too). When I filled the spots I chose kids that would be playmates for both of them, I have 2 that are the same as as my older daughter and 1 that is almost the same as my younger daughter. It is dificult to do many things that a regular preschool would do, as they don't have that mix of ages and don't have the same safety concerns as a home daycare provider has. Also think about the fact that your own daughter will be napping less and being more active as she gets older and be down to one nap a day by 18 months old. My younger daughter gets into EVERYTHING and I have to be very careful and organized about attempting any preschool activities for the older kids. I keep it simple right now and am just waiting for her to get a bit older so that I can do more without having her destroy everything. Most of the time I keep her and the other younger dcg busy so that the older ones can play uninterupted (doing lots of imaginative things that little fingers ruin). I do circle time everyday and we do lots of fun stuff, but I am by no means doing a full out preschool program. But I take advantage of teaching informally throughout the day and talking about things as we play, right now we are working on learning colours in French. I have no plans to take any more babies, I will fill spots with kids close to her age as they come open (which is easy to do since Winnipeg is begging for child care spots to open).

When I do activities with them, I involve them all as much as I can. My younger dcg doesn't often care if she is involved but my younger daughter MUST be into everything that is going on. You might be able to get away with more depending on your child's personality.

When I do sensory bins I use individual sized ones at the kitchen table, this solves the problem of younger ones getting into what they shouldn't be.

Toy cars are a favourite for all ages in my house, just have to make sure they aren't super small. You will find your child plays with alot of toys you didn't think they would because of being influenced by the older kids.

When you are setting stuff up, alot of things have to be put away and only taken out when you have a specially planned activity with them. Anything to do with colouring, painting, crafts, board games etc. can't just be left out to explore like they would be in a regular preschool program. I have lots of labelled bins to keep everything organized and easy to grab as needed.

Also, daycare providers take nap time as their break time, so you likely won't want to lose your only opportunity for a break.

So, yes, I would recommend advertising that you offer preschool aspects to your day home.

Thank you Amanda, your comment clarified allll my questions!
    Basically if I'am wanting to do a dayhome with my daughter involved I might just have a wait a tiny bit longer for my full day preschool dream!
    That's ok, it makes sense trying to find my daughter a playmate!

I received your private message and yes, would be very get grateful for any photos. I will send you my email address as a PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenny For This Useful Post:

I agree with everything the previous poster said. I am also a teacher and have an 18m old and 4yr old, plus 2 dc children ages 16m, 18m and 27m.
    You will desperately need a break by nap time- I would not plan to do activities with the older children during nap time unless you have had at least an hour break to sit and eat, and put your feet up. You will burn out if you don't. You have to take care of yourself first!
    I advertise that a kindergarten readiness program will be taught to children once they are ready, this could be anywhere between 2-3 years depending on the child. Basically it's some structured table work activities and I integrate more thematic activities. In the meantime there is tons of learning happening for the younger ones through play. Plus we already do circle time and story time daily, and tons of singing through all our transitions.
    If you plan on doing a lot of preschool-type activities and centres when your daughter is around, you will have to keep her in a play yard or separate her somehow until she is closer to two because she will be into EVERYTHING! Things you never imagined! Lol!
    Since your end plan is to run a preschool, I would start out with other children your daughter's age and as they all grow older you can transition to a more preschool-like environment and program.
    Good luck! It's very exciting to get started!

Thank you so much AcornsFalling, you and the other providers have really given me wonderful ideas and clarification.
    You are all such a wonderful resource!