Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Really need your help!

Okay, so I haven't been posting for along while, you all helped me with croup family but now I really could use the help on a different matter. My father was diagnosed with cancer last year, went threw chemo and everything was going ok.
    Today it has all changed, he had his dr appointment, and we were told cancer is back and is rapidly spreading, we've been told it's not looking very good. We should prepare for a short life span.

Now I need to put my daycare parents on notice, that I might need to give them very short notice of my needing to close. I could get a call in the middle of a night, and need that day off, I will text them of course right away, but I may not be able to give them 24-48 hours notice. How would you word something like this.
    Sorry if it's a lot of babble, I'm still numb with the news and now just trying to figure out how to handle the daycare families as well. A lot to process right now!

Thank you so much to all of you for all of your help and advice.

I am one to explain things to parents. I know some say keep info minimal, but I think what I would do is explain the situation and ask that all parents have a solid back up provider should anything suddenly happen. That way, regardless of the amount of notice, they have a plan.

On a side note, I am sorry to hear about your father and wish for only the best.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ttremble88 For This Useful Post:

Momof5, I'm very sorry about your Dad. I'm sure it's a very difficult time right now. My Mom passed away 3 years ago and my Dad Jan. 1st this year. My daycare parents were "extremely" understanding when I had to call and cancel that evening for the next day. This is something that cannot be worried about. This will be your time with your family and you do not need to be worried about the daycare. I took a week off when each of them passed away. As I said, and will reiterate, this will be your time and do not worry about them. They will understand. Take care of yourself.
    Last edited by Samantha33; 01-30-2014 at 06:44 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Samantha33 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    A couple years ago when I had just started my hdc I had to go through something similar. My grandpa was hospitalized and we weren't sure what the outcome was going to be. I spoke to my dc parents in person, explained the situation and told them that if I needed to close to get to the hospital that I would need them to pick up their child immediately as I am 1.5 hours from the hospital he was in and would need to get there ASAP. They all agreed and said they would let their spouses and emergency contact people know so that if they got the call they would have a plan a, b and c in place to come and get their child.

Thankfully my grandpa pulled through and I didn't need to worry. However, this Christmas we learned that he now has bladder cancer. I imagine in the near future I will need to have this talk again with all the parents. I am sorry you are going through this, I know how awful it feels!

If you do not want to talk to them in person about it, I would just email them explaining the situation and stress how important it will be for them to have a plan in place in case you need to close or have them pick up during the day. I never had any parents who complained about this and I hope your dcparents are just as understanding!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Shy
    New here, with my first post. First off, I just want to say how sorry I am. I know all too well how difficult it is to lose a parent to cancer. I had a very similar situation a few years ago. Be upfront with your DCP. Mine all knew my mom had cancer. On a Monday I found out from my dad that my mom had a made a turn for the worse and it was just a matter of time. I put all my DCP on notice, and I had made arrangements with one of my DCM to contact the rest of my families when something happened, because I knew I would be in no position to do so (I was a single mom at the time, and had no one else to do so). All my parents were very understanding, although one mom called within 3 days my mom's passing asking if I was ready to reopen. But, I digress.

In my case, all I was able to give was 12 hours notice once we knew she wouldn't make it through the night.

It's a difficult time now, and I feel your pain.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to brandy890 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through. Cancer has hit my family this year as well so I can really feel for how stressful and scary this is. My heart goes out to you.
    As for the daycare, if you woke up with the flu you would close on short notice right? This is not that much different except that you may have to close for more than a day or two. Last year my grandmother went into the hospital suddenly (on the other side of the country) and I needed to fly out on short notice. I notified families immediately and closed for an entire week. They were all fine with it. I think if you are comfortable explaining the situation to your families, you will have a very sympathetic audience and they will accommodate you without question. Best wishes to you and your family.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Thank you all, I am planning on taking the weekend to get the words properly down on paper so it's all clear to them. I know one family will be fine, and will put back up in place, other family, will probably him and haw regarding short notice,( they think I work for them. And am expected to be at their beck and call). And I've already decided in my own mind that if they do this I will term.
    I'm an only child so this has really hit me like a ton of bricks. And at this point this family is already on thin ice with me. But that's a whole other story. Lol

Thank you again for all your advice and help! I truly appreciate it.

Starting to feel at home... jammiesandtea's Avatar
    I'm so sorry that you're going through this, momof5. I wish the best for you and your family.

I agree with the other ladies, and want to add that "most" of your daycare families will be understanding and compassionate, but these situations tend to show people for who they really are. Good people will react with kindness and decency, and selfish, self-involved people will react in a selfish, self-involved way. The best way to deal with asshats like that is to term them immediately and never give them another minute of your time.

Sending you hugs, and positive thoughts and wishes.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jammiesandtea For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I am so sorry to hear. I can understand some of what you are saying because my grandmother was sick and passed away last year. She got sick at Easter time and we thought she was not going to survive. I had explained it all to my DCfamilies and the possibility that i have to close daycare suddenly and required immediate pick up if we got the 'dreaded call'. They were all very understanding, and i didn't worry too much about it because I knew they all had solid back ups and i have good DCfamilies. My grandma got better, then took a turn for the worse, and passed away May 23 of last yr. I took 2 or 3 days off the first time she was sick, and 3 days off when she passed away and not one single parent gave me a hard time. One actually told me to take more time off

I would not worry about taking the time off that you need too. You have to come first in this scenario so you can be with your father and your family. You will not get this time back so spend as much time as you need to with him.

I am sorry to hear your Dad's cancer has returned. I wish you and your family strength and the ability to lean on each other during your Dad's final days. This is the time to concentrate on family and I would certainly hope your clients are kind to you and do not give you are hard time.

I would keep the explanation simple and just emphasize that you may have to close suddenly and it could be several days.

All the best to you and your family.