I noticed that there are various opinions about field trips, some don't go at all, other just do neighbourhood, and some take public transport. Wow lots of variety!

I think field trips would be great - especially in the winter. The only thing is I only have enough room for 3 kids including my own child and I'd like a 'full house', 6 kids plus my own = 7. I hesitate to take public transit, for both the amount of work involved and the time crunch factor. Do people rent vans for the day? Is it possible to do that and get insurance just for the day? Or would it be possible to have a volunteer or assistant drive a second car. Obviously they would have insurance and a police clearance, but what else would you require of them for liability reasons? Or is it just not possible. I thought about having a parent help/drive as well, but then would they need a police check...what else?

I guess what I am asking is, beside transit how do you take kids for driving distance field trips when you don't have the car space.