Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deposit

Starting to feel at home...

Deposit

I have decided to deduct my vacation/personal days off the client deposit. I had a client that was with me for 10 months, I think it's only fair that I calculate the days her child was in my care and deduct that amount out of their deposit. I need to reflect that change in the deposit section of my contract. Wondering, if you have that in your contract and could you share your policy.

Euphoric !
    Just be careful - do you give the parents any vacation or sick days they can take without pay as the parent will expect you to give them back those days.

I don't have it in my contract because personally don't feel a family leaving early should have to pay for what I am going to do down the road. Not their problem you didn't get sick and take a personal day last month. As far as vacation goes you could put something in your contract that says parents are responsible for a payout if they leave prior to Sept ie after the previous vacation period of one day for each month they are in care then you put 12 vacation/personal days in your contract.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I don't understand what you mean.

Your deposit should be used for the last week or two of daycare services for the child.

If you want to charge parents for personal/vacation days then you first need to change your contract and have the parent sign that updated contract.

Usually....when a provider has a vacation/sick/personal day the parent then pays the same weekly fee as usual as per the contract. ie. If a client is to pay you $160 per week then you would still get $160 that week even though you took a sick day.

I don't think you can take money from the deposit for any other purpose than what it is meant for. Maybe I am confused

Euphoric !
    In some jobs you get a 3-4% vacation pay monthly in lieu of actually getting vacation time such as for part time workers. I am thinking that is what you are meaning but sadly that doesn't really apply to us unless you specifically put it in your contract. No idea how to word it to have it legally covered. I know the idea has been mentioned in a few other threads but as a parent I would not feel obligated to pay you anything extra other than the agreed upon number of weeks notice period which would include any amount I had already paid as a deposit towards this notice period.