Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Smile When do you give milk?

Hello ! I have just started my daycare. All my registered kids are between 1 and 2.5 years old. They are all starting within the next few weeks. I was asked by one parent to give their daughter milk at 3, another is used to having their milk during lunch, my son is used to having it right before nap (after lunch) . I can't accommodate everyone's schedule. Just wondering when other (experienced) daycares give the milk. Any suggestions of a routine that works would be appreciated ! Thanks!

Euphoric !
    First- it's your schedule not there's.

I give milk once per day after lunch when we are reading stories right before nap. I do this for a few reasons: I don't want kids to fill up on milk or replace food with milk so they get it after the meal, kids drink far too much milk usually, more then is recommended by pediatricians (16-20 oz per day), it is a nice routine and gets them sleepy for bed.

Sometimes when I have a new little one I will give them a little milk between morning snack and lunch to help tide them over but this is very short term.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    It is terrible to admit but I actually rarely give the children milk. We eat dairy everyday but to actually give them milk I don't very often. My daughter gets milk at breakfast time either in her cereal or in a cup when she has toast and then again at supper.

When I do give milk it is usually after lunch.

Euphoric !
    I don't have a set time but usually give milk at lunch time. If they don't finish their milk they get it again at snack.

It all depends on what we're having too. If we are having a lot of dairy already that day than it might be just water all day.

Like most, I give milk once the child has finished their lunch. Through the rest of the day, it is water. I do not give drinks with meals for the reason of them filling up on the liquid and then wasting the foods.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ttremble88 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I give milk with the afternoon (after nap) snack. This snack is usually a bit lighter (a price of fruit) so it helps fill them up until pick up. I was giving it after lunch thinking it would help them sleep but I actually find that a few Of the kids poop during naptime when they have had milk.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gravy_train For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I only serve milk to the children whos parents send milk .....otherwise they get water.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayola kiddies View Post
    I only serve milk to the children whos parents send milk .....otherwise they get water.
    I actually like the idea of the parent sending milk for the child if they want them to have it during the day. I think that will be a change to my next years contract.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

I also only give milk if the parent provides it. The child only gets it after lunch and in their chair at the table (not in the pack and play). I've had too many leaky bottles and don't want my pack and plays ruined. It is also a sleep prop if they are allowed to drink to sleep.
    Otherwise everyone drinks water at all meals or in between.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AcornsFalling For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Same here. If the parent wants their child to have milk, they provide it. Most of my parents leave a bag here with me.