Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Parent requesting that I use small potty for training

I have several daycare children potty training at the same time. I have always used the regular toilet with the hard plastic insert seat put on it, and a stool. I do this for hygeine reasons, as it is easy to disinfect the seat, and not worry about dumping the output and disinfecting the little potty each time. The parent was aware of this practice when she interviewed. Child has been training since August, and in my opinion is not ready, as she can only tell me if she soiled or has to go, about 10% of the time. Mom had one successful day at home running her to the toilet every 1/2 hr. on the weekend, and can't understand why my success rate isn't the same. Well, I don't run them to the toilet every 1/2 hr unless they say they have to go. We go about every 1-1.5 hrs. Mom has now implied to me that she's not successful here because I don't use little potty and don't go often enough. My back is up, and I have told her my practices regarding this issue many times before. I will continue to do bathroom routine on the regular schedule, and I'm not using the little potty.
    Have also explained to the parent that for successful toilet training, the child needs some sense of holding her bladder for at least an hour at a time, and 1/2 hr runs are not feasible with this group. Any thoughts on what else to say to this parent?

Euphoric !
    Just do what you are doing. Drives me nuts when parents think they can tell you how to run your ship. They have to realize that you have more than just their child to look after. I actually have it in my contract that we go at a set time. Potty training is not running to the bathroom every half hour - that is parent training lol

Expansive...
    I would just stick with my guns if it was me. I always tell parents that we train right to the big potty or else we would have to train twice later on from a small potty to the big one.

I don't find it a realistic expectation that a DCP should be scooping out human poop from a child sized potty and dumping it in the toilet. I found it yucky with my own kids and switched to the big potty pretty quick once I was in training mode.

I also train DCKs right to the large potty with an insert. Some of my parents mention using the small potty and that is fine if that works for them but I never even entertain that I would do it here.

I also remind parents that it often takes longer to train at daycare because they often don't want to leave the fun activity or the group in order to go away to the bathroom by themselves. It is much easier for a parent to watch a child 1 on 1 in case they need to go whereas we are watching several children and often distracted by multiple needs.

Euphoric !
    If you don't want to use the little potty than you need to tell mom and make sure you are clear with your reasons why. Clear communication is best. Parents don't always see the same complications we do because they aren't thinking of the whole group, they are just considering their child.

I personally use both and let the child decide. I don't believe in raising children all the same way and this includes potty training. What will work for one might not work for the other. I am actually working on potty training this month with 3 children. I have one small potty, one toilet insert and am thinking of getting a 2nd little potty so that all 3 can go at the same time. Hopefully they all don't want the big potty!! lol

I will say though that potty training is the worst in my opinion. I have never liked it lol. The end result that everyone wants is the child to be trained though. If parents and dcprovider's aren't on the same page, it is the child who looses out. I try to keep that in mind and try to train the way the parent is at home. In the past, I have had parents ask how I train and they do that way at home. Communication is key! Consistency with the child will allow them to be trained much quicker

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I personally use both and let the child decide. I don't believe in raising children all the same way and this includes potty training. What will work for one might not work for the other. I am actually working on potty training this month with 3 children. I have one small potty, one toilet insert and am thinking of getting a 2nd little potty so that all 3 can go at the same time. Hopefully they all don't want the big potty!! lol
    I do it this way. I have both options, and I let the child decide. Although... I do understand why the big seat is easier and more sanitary. And I also agree that running a child to the bathroom every 1/2 hour is not realistic or always possible.
    Last edited by JennJubie; 02-04-2014 at 04:08 PM. Reason: sp

Euphoric !
    I use both also ... I have two potties and a small seat that goes on the big toilet ....

Euphoric !
    I use just the insert and if child isn't happy using it then they are not ready for potty training since no one should have to drag the potty seat out into public. The point of being potty trained is the ability to use any toilet anywhere whenever they need to pee cause that is what one does when they are big. I even have 3 little potties I refuse to use.

I also don't take them to the potty more often than hourly and that is just at the beginning till they get the routine down and then it is spaced out more with the idea it is up to them to tell me when they need to go and not to just dribble on demand.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I agree with you, and what seems to be the majority. I don't use little potties. I hate 'em. Used them when training my first two (boys) and then realized that, in my experience, you are creating more work, because then you need to "retrain" them to go on the regular toilet.
    I have made it more than clear to the parents what my expectations are with potty-training. The child needs to be aware of what is going on. Taking a child to the bathroom every 20-30 minutes and getting accidental pees/poops is not training them. They need to make the progression from totally unaware, to "I peed", to "I am peeing", to "I have to pee". I understand that this happens differently for every child, and am willing to work with parents.
    But I am very clear that I cannot take them on a schedule, nor can I spend 5-10 min in the bathroom with a child.
    Honestly, I wouldn't use the tiny potty for sanitary reasons. That is how I would discuss it with the parents.

Expansive...
    Just do everything you are doing. It sounds like you've discussed with her how it is done at your business, and just stand your ground. I, too, don't use the little potties...I assist with toilet training with the little seat on the big toilet.

Euphoric !
    I must have the wrong seat for the big toilet...I find cleaning it more gross! LOL All the nooks and crannies that the pee goes into....or maybe my dck's just pee funny?!? haha

I've never thought about re-training them to use the big toilet. I guess for some kids you might have to do this but I haven't come across this issue yet. I find the little potty is perfect for the littler ones who still have issues getting onto the big toilet even with a stool. Once they are bigger and can get onto the toilet themselves they do this and the little potty goes away again until the next child is ready to train.

No different(in my opinion) than having children eat at a little table. They don't need to be re-trained to sit at a big table, they are just using child sized appropriate tools and they work their way up to the bigger ones

Regardless, use whatever you like and make sure you tell the parents that this is how it is at your daycare. If they don't like it they will either leave or learn to adapt!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post: