Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Free time

Starting to feel at home...

Free time

I've been feeling like I don't do enough with the kids. We are very busy in the mornings but after naptime and snack I pretty much let them do whatever they like. Coloring, Mr. Potato head, bingo dabbers, as long as it cleans up easily. They can play with toys and sing and dance but in the afternoon I mainly watch them while doing laundry or cleaning the daycare room. My parents are all very happy with me. My husband says I do plenty with them but he is upstairs and we are downstairs so what does he know unless he sees the crafts we do. My question: How long do you spend per day actually playing or doing crafts with the kids?

I should add it winter right now and going out in the afternoon is not an option.
    Last edited by Samantha33; 02-04-2014 at 06:23 PM.

Euphoric !
    My day sounds like yours The morning is spent doing a few structured play activities (playdough, art, water table, slime, outside, dance parties, tent play etc) and than after nap it's snack and free play. Usually an hour after nap most, if not all, of the kids are gone home so I don't do anything too messy either. This is when I put away dishes, sweep the floor, clean the bathroom and maybe get a few things out for the next day.

Once all my "work" is done, I sit down and free play with the kids until home time.

Outgoing
    With this weather, my pregnancy and the age group of my kiddos we have definitely slowed down.

I will lead them in storytime, songs/fingerplays, and guided play with blocks, puzzles, etc.

I also will do colouring, stickers, bingo dappers, playdough and painting for about 15-20 mins depending on the mood of the group as all these kiddos are under the age of 2 so their attention spans are quite brief and the amount of set up and clean up is alot on this hugely pregnant woman LOL. I do art with them usually 2 or 3 different times throughout the day (15-20 mins each time). We go back to free and guided play in between.
    Have to admit, been watching more tv than usual. With the weather and me being so huge and my back and entire body aching all over I have slowed down big time in my energy level.
    I don't feel guilty because in the warmer weather we are outside pretty much ALL day at the park, going to the library, walks to the splashpads and playing in the backyard.

I completely understand how you feel; some days I feel just that. That and I got kind of crafted out at Christmas time and haven't gotten back into the swing of things, in terms of take home crafts...feeling guilty about that. I have little snippets of structured time through the morning (important, of course for school readiness when learning to sit and listen are important); circle time & story time being the most consistent in my day. Don't undervalue free time though; it is amazing what they are learning in terms of social skills. I too am a firm believer in on the spot, spontaneous teaching moments over structured ones so much.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    Lots of free play here! Our day is usually as follows. Open at 7:30 - free play until 10 on Monday and Friday (TV on until 8:30). My drop off's vary from 7:30 - 9:30. On Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday's we do arts/crafts/Letter of the week from 8:15-9:15. 10-10:30 is snack and bathroom. 10:30-11:15 -get ready, go outside, come in (weather permitting - if too cold like most of this winter it is just free play time). Free play again until 12. Lunch at 12-12:30. 12:30-3 - nap time, 3:00-3:30 - bathroom and snack time. 3:30 - 4 free play. 4-4:30 clean up (some pickups) 4:30-5 - tv, home time.

Sometimes we clean up early and play playdough, get the tents out etc. During free play we play puzzles, blocks, have a dance party, read books - depending on who is here and what they want to do.
    Last edited by mickyc; 02-05-2014 at 08:28 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I am pretty structured ( just my personality ) arrival time is 8 am and we have puzzles and colouring until 9 , then free play until 10 , then we have circle time where we will have a story about the unit study for the month , sing songs with musical instruments , we do color flash cards and do action songs , then off to do a craft ( our theme this month is friends of the community , this week is drs , we made black construction dr bags complete with face masks , tongue depressors and band aids !!) then we do a work sheet , and a colouring page , then we clean up and go outside ( if it's too cold I will put tv on and bring out Lego , then lunch , that takes us to about 1 pm so we do naps until 3 , we always watch caillou ( ugh ) until everyone is up , changed and had a snack , then free play time until home around 4-4:45 .
    I love schedules and planning and organizing !! Lol abit too much sometimes !!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Secondtimearound - you are ambitious!! You must spend so much time preparing for your day! Good for you.

I like to let kids be kids (not saying that your way isn't) but I just feel like there are lots of time for kids to have to sit in a classroom and follow directions/be told what to do or play with. I don't ever tell the kids to play with one particular thing (puzzles/blocks etc) other than art/crafts/playdough time. Everything is available all the time during free play (except arts/crafts/playdough). I let the kids drag everything out too and sometimes you can barely walk across the floor because everything is out (I have way too many toys lol). We don't clean up as we go we do it all at the end of the day. I do work on colors/letters/shapes/counting/nursery rhymes etc but for the most part I believe that is something that most parents should be working on not just me. We learn those things through playing.

I was interested to find that my daughter's licenced pre-school actually does almost the same as me. Mostly free play, some arts/crafts, outside time etc. The teacher told me that they are government regulated to have lots of free play time more than anything else.

Euphoric !
    I agree that free play is a GREAT way for kids to learn. I struggle with too much free play though as I feel lazy and like I'm not doing my job.

I am not saying that those who do free play are lazy...just how I feel if my day didn't have some sort of structure to it lol.

Starting to feel at home...
    I guess I'm right with scheduling. It looks like we all do basically the same thing. Maybe just at different times. I have a schedule, I guess I just hate standing around while they play.

Euphoric !
    I have my laptop on the counter in my playroom. I take the time to check out Daycare Bear or Pinterest! LOL Sit on the floor and play with one or two, do your food prep, fold laundry. Organize your craft cupboard, clean, dust, organize. Lots can be done while in the same room as the kids.