Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    The one thing I can't stand is when the kids run away from their parents and the parents chase them
    Oh, I totally agree! It is heaven when we are already outside at home time and have everyone ready to pop in the car. Otherwise, my playroom, unfortunately is on our lower level below our entrance and I can hear one parent chasing little one around my kitchen/living room (with a cream shag area rug!) in boots!!! Last week I popped up to casually gesture toward the long bench and child's chair in my daycare cubby area; " feel free to sit <DCK> there while you get ready; I find that really helpful when I'm getting them all ready myself." Alas...the chasing routine continues...sigh. They are all so well behaved when I'm getting them ready for outside; sitting nicely until I get the next ready.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    OMG that is horrible! Luckily my back entrance is right at the top of the stairs from my basement so there is no need to go through the whole house. I find it worse when we are outside. Kids run and hide, whine they want to go on the slide one more time. What drives me nuts the most is that the invisible barrier that the kids know is there goes out the window when mom/dad show up. My yard is not fenced (on an acreage so not worried about traffic etc). The kids know they are only allowed in the back yard. It amazes me how parents let them run around the house and go running after them or run in the driveway when they all know full well that other parents will be picking up. I just wonder what they are like when they go shopping or to the park in town. The kids know they do not run from me. What I say goes and drives me nuts to see parents not acting like parents.

Outgoing
    I have two little ones that do this. One mom is great, she's all business, gets him dressed and scoops him out the door. The other mom not so much. She laughs about it and then lets him go and he takes off running back into my house with his boots on I've started getting him dressed and ready to go as well because he'll do it no problem for me.

Expansive...
    I don't blame you at all. ..especially if it goes on for so long. I think having the child ready will at least send the parents a message that you want to get on with your own night.

What about parents who let the children go and reenter the house several times and run away from them several times. The parents then stay in my front hallway saying various things to try and entice their child to come to them.

I tend to get impatient and physically bring the child back to the parent and then I get 'frowny face' from the parents that I am manhandling the child.

Well....sorry but I don't like to watch you try to convince your child for 10 minutes to come back to you

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Spixie33 View Post
    Well....sorry but I don't like to watch you try to convince your child for 10 minutes to come back to you
    Right? The kids should listen to their parents! It's like these parents try to convince the child that they want to go home for supper. Not how it works. I'm all for giving kids choice and empowering them to make decisions, but at the end of the day, if things need to be done, they either listen, or it is done for them, kicking and screaming, if need be.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cuteboys View Post
    Right? The kids should listen to their parents! It's like these parents try to convince the child that they want to go home for supper. Not how it works. I'm all for giving kids choice and empowering them to make decisions, but at the end of the day, if things need to be done, they either listen, or it is done for them, kicking and screaming, if need be.
    Or I offer to go get their child since I don't have shoes on and the parents is like "it's okay...just leave them. I have a bit of time."

Um...well....maybe I don't.

Okay...calming breath. Those moments just drive me up the wall and back.

Expansive...
    I bring everyone in our entry and gate us all in . That way I can sit while they dress themselves or help little ones . If they run when dcp comes it's not far . I have had a dcp complain that dck too hot but basically they are dressed for about 10 min and we are sitting , getting papers and art ready to go . I usually just have coats and jackets on and do hats and mitts when parents arrive . So I really don't think they are too hot ,

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cuteboys View Post
    Children should only be given a choice when there is a choice .... Do you want to wear the red pajammas or the blue pajammas not do you want to get your pajammas on ? ....... Do you want carrots or broccoli not do you want vegetables ?..... Never ask a child a question or to make a choice if there is no choice ..... Like ....Are you ready to go to bed? And my fav is when a parent picks up and says ...... Are you ready to go home? Seriously?????? 90% of the time they say no..... So now what ???? You make the provider the "bad guy" that's what ..... Cause now the provider has to say "well sorry but its not an option mom/dad is here and it is time to go ". This is basic parenting 101 Give a choice when there is a choice !!!! Why can't parents just parent? You can be your kids friend when they are adults for now just be a parent !

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Crayola - I feel the same way. I give the kids what I call a "forced choice". I give them two choices which still result in things being done the proper way.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JennJubie For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Yes, I agree with you crayola and Jenn! I give two choices that I am okay with. That way either choice they pick, I am happy with.