Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Activity ideas for 12months?

Hi All,

I am new, though I've been lurking for some time now.

I have 3 kids right now 11-14months of age. I have another 12 month old starting soon(ish).

I have my ECE and tons of experience working with groups of children yet I find myself just doing a LOT of free play. What do the providers with all young (really young) children do for actual activities?

I do sit and read for 20min a day and the children come and go as they please...some sit the whole time, others hover. I also have music on most the day and I sing along.

I've tried colouring and playdough but we're just not there yet. I've tried some activities but I find it's just me doing an activity by myself and the kids off entertaining themselves...fun for me, but not really worthwhile :-)

They are amazing kids and self entertain very well. One, I think gets a bit bored and fussy at times...but she's my newest child (12m) so possibly just not settled in yet.

Should I be doing more with them or just keep up the free play all day? I am on the floor with them and they bring me stuff. But, they just like to wander about playing.

I think I just feel like I'm not doing enough because in all my past work I've had older (even slightly older) kids so I could do formal, structured activities.

Any thoughts?

Starting to feel at home...
    When I had a group 3 children all 12 and 13 moths of age I did the same thing. At that age I think singing, reading, and getting on the floor with them to play is good.

Euphoric !
    When I started, I had an 8 month old, 10 month old and 2 two year old's. Singing (I sung the same 4-5 songs and used actions), reading books, free play and listening to music were the main things we did. However, I did start art with them even at 8 months. Here are a few of the things I do with that age (even the older toddlers like them)

*mess free painting 1....cut a piece of construction paper to fit into the large ziploc bags, dip a sponge into paint and put into bag. Zip up the bag and give to child to squeeze. Can add more sponges and paint if wanted

*mess free painting 2...put a piece of paper into a container (I use the lays/pringles cans) and add marbles dipped in paint. Put lid on and give to child to "shake, rattle and roll"

*I buy those canvases from the dollar store and put globs of paint on them and let the kids finger paint with them and than hang on the wall for artwork. My 10 month old dcb didn't really like getting his hands dirty so he used a paintbrush very early on!

*Make pudding and give them a spoonful on a plate. They can play in it or eat it.

*Make sensory bottles....keep pop bottles (I keep the smaller ones) and add coloured water, rice, marbles, glitter, pom poms etc to them. This entertains them FOREVER!!

*Sensory bins filled with rice(messy clean up lol), maccaroni, feathers etc.

*Freeze toys in bigger containers. (this was a fun summer one as we took it outside and it melted as they played with them)

*colouring and stickers were a big hit (still are!), I would put glue on their paper and they stuck whatever supplies I had out that day to the paper.

*put the ball pit balls in a playpen and 1-2 children at a time in there

*when I only had 2 I would put them in swim diapers and they played in the "pool" (bath tub)

*I also put them in the tub to use bath paints/crayons
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 02-06-2014 at 10:00 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Thanks for the ideas! I LOVE the freezing toys idea. Can't wait to try that out!

Starting to feel at home...
    5 little Monkeys these are awesome ideas. Especially the canvas and then hang in the daycare as art and even frame them. I've been wanting to hang art work in a frame and this would be perfect. And the ball pit, they would have a blast. Now to get some balls.

Euphoric !
    The parents love the art on the wall done by their children. I try to remember to give it to them once they leave my dc but I have a few still that have left. I need to do some more actually with this current group.

The ball pit in the play pen was fantastic!! It was a pinterest idea. I actually sold my balls at our yard sale last summer and kinda wished I hadn't now.

Look up treasure baskets. They are a sensory activity geared towards infants and upwards and they are a great activity to do with mixed age groups as they get many different things from the experience. It is not an activity you should involve yourself in. Provide them with the treasure basket, basket or box and contents, in the centre of the room, and then sit on the outskirts of the room and observe. There are lots of great sites including different themed baskets and also google "how to use a treasure basket" so that it is used to its fullest purpose and intention. I just love treasure baskets!