Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Frugal Tips

Starting to feel at home...
    Swagbucks if you wish do decide to sign up here is a referral link : swagbucks.com/refer/teinwai

If many people sign up share your referral links too so others can earn extra points too.

Basically you earn point for your online searches, poll participation, surveys, and some purchases online, etc. Walmart has free deilivery so I make some purchases online there and get visa and swagbuck points.

You then exchange the swagbucks for gift cards. The best deal is the $5 amazon ones.

*Just a note: I don't install the toolbar, as for some reason my computer really slows down if I do. Not sure if everyone has the same issue.
    Last edited by Discoveries; 02-07-2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: to add something

Hi!

Well for me....

I buy my dishsoap, name brand cleaning products (Lysol etc) from dollarama I found Dawn dish stuff there for $1.25/bottle. I also found antibacterial Lysol wipes for $2.

I buy craft stuff if we are making an occasion craft from there. Really do not do day to day crafting anymore, it was taking way to much of my budget, and besides the kids didn't really seem to care.

I also buy some food stuff from there. Some. Often you will find discon't goldfish, motts applesauce, etc (always check exp. dates)

My local co-op store has a coupon app that we use. If that store has a 10 for 10 sale we will go and get some items that way, we also buy what's on sale, and will go to more than one store. The other day I got the weeks menu for $150.00, but that's cause I got some really good deals, and am not always brand loyal.

If a store has shampoo etc on sale, I will buy that item in bulk. I do the same for dishwasher, and laundry. You can sometimes find name brand shampoos and hairspray etc at dollar stores.

We are big groupon people. We can often find a night out for very cheap.

I am a big value village person for most of my sons clothing--I have found things for old navy, gap kids, etc, and you'd never know it was not new. I too, buy things a season behind (clearance) to find the best price.

We do not have cable tv. I garage sale, I trade...I had to learn to be frugal because my daycare is not full.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by dodge__driver11; 02-07-2014 at 11:07 AM.

Euphoric !
    I know some people don't like to coupon because it's not food that they eat but if you use coupons for other things (paper towel, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, laundry soap, dish soap, hand soap, beauty products etc) you can use the money you saved for those things to put towards the groceries. Also if you email companies of food that you do eat they will often send you coupons as well.

There are usually coupons for frozen veggies and sometimes the flyers have coupons for fresh fruit. Driscoll berries will mail you coupons and also email you coupons during your birthday month.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    5 Little Monkies...it is true that the more you spend, the more you can claim, but you don't get back all of the money you spent, just the taxes you would have paid on it. So I think you are still better off to spend less in the first place and just put money aside for taxes (I am working on this one now). Great tips everyone!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I also cut down on things for my own family to save money and then didn't feel as bad about spending on the daycare when my own kids were part of it. Now I basically have everything I need so only need to buy consumable items which sucks come tax time. What I am doing is creating things for the daycare and claiming that so my crafting habit is being subsidized in more than one way by my daycare. Working on plastic canvas shamrock puzzles ( three hearts and a stem).

For sure making your own from scratch saves money for the most part. I don't do much that needs craft supplies as the kids don't appreciate the effort given their age and we have more fun playing with things like the shamrocks. A lot of crafts use scraps from my crafting or recycled items too since it is about the process and you know the parents aren't going to keep everything.

I don't do daily journals anymore so saves on paper and ink - I know email is an option but why start something I don't plan to keep. Haven't had a parent at an interview upset by the lack of a journal in many years.

Cut down on my cleaning so for example bedding is not washed weekly by every 2-3 weeks instead - I mean really 5 two hour naps is only equal to one 10 hour sleep in their bed at home and it gets the chance to air out daily. That saves 2-3 tubs of laundry a week.

Scaled back snacks too and it helped with eating.

Don't do any outings so no money there at all for travelling or admissions.

I find I am at a point where I need to buy a shaped cookie cutter or fancy muffin pan or something to make up some expenses. I try to put the money into things that if I stopped doing daycare I could use myself but that while I am doing daycare they benefit from. I am 28 years in (oldest child is 30 and I still have some of her toys in use).

Outgoing
    I do much the same as you ladies!

Here's another one - I save all of my milk bags. If you buy bagged milk, wash it out when you are done with it. They make fantastic freezer bags. I can't tell you the money I've saved on freezer bags alone because of this!

Euphoric !
    Sunnydays...yes for sure! I am not going crazy and buying a lot (it's also just not in me to not be cheap with some things lol) but I am increasing my expenses a bit every month. I am buying more toys new for example and I don't coupon for daycare groceries anymore. I claim 100% of my daycare supplies, toys and groceries. I still put $2-300 away every two weeks for income tax time though just to be safe!

Just last night a friend and I went to Giant Tiger and they had some really cute kids clothes for $2!! I picked up 6 things for gifts(fyi $58 reg, $12 sale). Than we were looking at clothes for us and I found a $5 shirt for me but was hesitant to buy it. She laughed at me and convinced me to buy it for myself!! I have no issue spending on daycare so I am actually a little afraid of how much I would spend on my own children!!

Starting to feel at home...
    Costco!! For cleaning supplies, toilet paper, etc. as well as a lot of food items. But I am careful to only buy 'real' food... At costco it is very easy to buy a lot of processed food which is more convenient but can add up FAST.

Quote Originally Posted by JennJubie View Post
    I do much the same as you ladies!

Here's another one - I save all of my milk bags. If you buy bagged milk, wash it out when you are done with it. They make fantastic freezer bags. I can't tell you the money I've saved on freezer bags alone because of this!
    I do this too!

Oh! Stop buying dishwasher soap! I ran out before Christmas, and googled a quick fix. I found a site that recommended two-three drops (NO MORE!) of regular dish soap, and a sprinkle of baking soda on each level of the washer.

My dishes came out clean and sparkly. I now use this exclusively. It saves a tonne of cash, as dishwasher detergent is pricey.

I also make all of our laundry soap, household cleaners and don't use paper towels.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post: