Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Frugal Tips

Outgoing

Frugal Tips

How do you save money on daycare or family expenses? Thought we could share the ways that we reduce our expenses and help each other out!
    -I price match every week. I know the prices of the foods that I buy regularly and stock up when they are at the lowest price. It took me about 6 months to learn that everything goes on sale and that it is often cyclical (ex. never pay more that $4 for cheese or $2.88/lb for ground beef).
    -I cook mostly everything from scratch. It takes time but I usually do it while I am working and when possible I get the kids involved - they LOVE it and so do the parents! It also helps them to try food they wouldn't ordinarily eat because they take pride in making it!
    - I switched my daily banking to PC financial (no fees and points for groceries) and I only shop at Loblaws or Superstore for groceries.
    -I turn the lights off in rooms that we aren't using.
    - I buy only the fruits and vegetables that are on sale and learn how to cook/prepare snacks with them.
    - I don't buy expensive craft material. There is a lot you can do with water!
    - I don't buy expensive art smocks - I use my oldest son's old t-shirts - the kids love that they are wearing his clothes and I have saved money.
    - I only serve water (unlimited) and one cup of milk per day - this is for nutritional reasons but works out to be cost effective too!
    - I have joined some local freecycle groups and look for items that I may need for my home or daycare there before spending money.
    - I only buy used books for the daycare (value village, garage sales, etc.)
    - I cook in bulk and freeze portions - hinders me from ordering take-out when I don't want to cook or feel that we have 'nothing' to eat.

-

Starting to feel at home...
    I do much of what you do. Meal planning and bulk cooking and freezing, etc.

I follow many of the tips on mrsjanuary.com for couponing, rebates, checkout51, etc.

I use Swagbucks.com and earn Amazon.ca gift cards.

I follow Gail Vazoxlades's website as well for budget and financial advice.

Euphoric !
    I do most of what you do...

-price match, coupon, buy what's on sale(I literally almost never buy something unless it's on sale)...this also helps give the menu a variety of fruit and veggies
    -cook in bulk and freeze
    -buy toys from a local website classifieds, fb swap and shop pages, yard sales
    -buy art supplies from the same as above and dollar stores or on sale at walmart/micheals
    -buy gifts all year round for birthday/holidays/goody bags

My goal this year is to actually stop doing some of this and spend more money throughout the year so that I don't have to pay so much at income tax time though. I still coupon a bit for us but no more for the daycare.
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 02-07-2014 at 09:08 AM.

Expansive...
    I get lots of books from the library.

I do a weekly lunch and dinner plan for my family and don't buy more groceries unless we really need them.

I pay for almost everything with my airmiles credit card, and then earn $20 worn of free gas pretty much every month (and I ALWAYS pay it off every month).

Starting to feel at home...
    I do the same as most of you:

-shop only sales and stock up on good sales
    -big couponer
    -turn of lights when not in the room
    -turn down the heat when we leave the house for more then an hour
    -HUGE fan of the library
    -buy craft supplies when discounted/on sale when I can
    -only run dishwasher and washer/dryer on off peak hours
    -buy daycare equipment second hand when I can
    -lots of homecooked meals in large portions for leftovers (used for daycare or hubbys lunches)
    -get cash back when shopping through CO51

I am sure that there is more, but my brain is on Friday mode.

Happy to report that I do all of the above too...can't tell what a savings on budget and stress simply planning a weekly or monthly family Menu has been. I still tweak the menu if I see something on sale (& then usually make a bunch of meals ahead...love the Glad freezer to oven storage containers for that!). And I save my reward miles for vacation time...last vacation (Florida @ Christmas) our hotels were completely free with rewards...yay!! I have cut way back on take home crafts this year (1 a week max....often only 1 every 2 weeks). Also, I give them as much lunch as they wish, but where snacks are concerned I portion out and that's it...find they eat much better @ lunch now (& @ dinner for parents). Also scaled back on presents this year; I still do a small birthday gift (book and educational toy @ $15 budget), Christmas Gift ($10/child budget), and a have a great summer bucket (dollar store stuff) for my year end in June (I have summers off. I scour end of season sales and buy lots of the gifts ahead..70% off @ Michaels was a good one for me this year...way under gift budget this year.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Outgoing
    Another way I save is by making my own cleaning supplies - baking soda and vinegar are awesome!

Outgoing
    @dreamalittledream - I don't shop at Michael's much but notice that there is a 50% off coupon in their flyer every week!
    I also use CO51 although haven't accumulated enough $ to receive a check yet.

Outgoing
    i haven't used swagbucks discoveries - will look into it this afternoon!

Expansive...
    How does swag bucks work?

I use ebates for my online shopping and try and find coupon codes for my online shopping. I am not much of a couponer though--- I am not that organized and it seems so overwhelming.