How do you save money on daycare or family expenses? Thought we could share the ways that we reduce our expenses and help each other out!
-I price match every week. I know the prices of the foods that I buy regularly and stock up when they are at the lowest price. It took me about 6 months to learn that everything goes on sale and that it is often cyclical (ex. never pay more that $4 for cheese or $2.88/lb for ground beef).
-I cook mostly everything from scratch. It takes time but I usually do it while I am working and when possible I get the kids involved - they LOVE it and so do the parents! It also helps them to try food they wouldn't ordinarily eat because they take pride in making it!
- I switched my daily banking to PC financial (no fees and points for groceries) and I only shop at Loblaws or Superstore for groceries.
-I turn the lights off in rooms that we aren't using.
- I buy only the fruits and vegetables that are on sale and learn how to cook/prepare snacks with them.
- I don't buy expensive craft material. There is a lot you can do with water!
- I don't buy expensive art smocks - I use my oldest son's old t-shirts - the kids love that they are wearing his clothes and I have saved money.
- I only serve water (unlimited) and one cup of milk per day - this is for nutritional reasons but works out to be cost effective too!
- I have joined some local freecycle groups and look for items that I may need for my home or daycare there before spending money.
- I only buy used books for the daycare (value village, garage sales, etc.)
- I cook in bulk and freeze portions - hinders me from ordering take-out when I don't want to cook or feel that we have 'nothing' to eat.

-