Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Insane Hydro bills - one of the downfalls of being at home all day!

Anyone else feeling the pinch in hydro bills right now? I have a basement playroom and annoying baseboard heaters, and it's been SO cold here (southern Ontario) that I've had the heat on downstairs constantly, even overnight, just to keep it warm enough for the kids during the day. Plus heat in the living room and kitchen. We just got a hydro bill that's double what it usually is in the winter!

Just needed to vent - It better warm up soon!

Euphoric !
    My fiance mentioned that our hydro bill was more this month too but it's been so cold!! (MB here) I have my daycare in the basement and I find it so hard to keep the heat down there! I have a little heater that I plug in on a shelf in my kitchen and thankfully it heats it up quickly but I don't like to have it running all the time.

Spring and Summer will be welcomed for sure!!

Euphoric !
    We heat with propane and due to the shortage of propane they have jacked the price up to double what it was 4 months ago and its about $700/month right now

Starting to feel at home...
    We heat with natural gas. So far the bills have been fine. I'm very anxious to see this months though. It should be in very shortly. I have the daycare downstairs and the all the kids have robeez to put and keep on everyday fall to spring. They also have sweaters they leave here and I often have them put it on first thing in the morning when everyone is opening the outside door.

Euphoric !
    Cathy, all my kids have sweaters too that I make them wear downstairs but I never thought of the robeez! My new child has them, maybe I should ask all the parents to supply slippers of some sort! That would likely help. They never complain about being cold and most of them take their sweaters off but it would make me feel better lol.

Expansive...
    We are on the budget plan with Manitoba hydro, we have natural gas. It makes it so that we don't have crazy high heating bills in the winter, we pay a little more in the summer to balance it all out.

Outgoing
    We're on the budget plan with mb Hydro too. But "just for fun" I looked at actual usage compared to what i paid. It wasn't fun. I shouldn't have done that. It's our first winter in this house, and I guess a family of four plus a home daycare uses much more heat than a single elderly lady. We pay based on her usage. Our actual usage last month was over $700. That's a shock to see. I shouldn't have looked!

Starting to feel at home...
    5 Little Monkeys, they even go to bed with their Robeez on. I request all new parents bring these as they feel like socks and are hard to for them to take off.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Samantha33 For This Useful Post:

Fortunately my hubby had the hindsight to put in radiant flooring when we put tile down in the basement (where my playroom and naproom are) It really helps but if the wind is blowing into the front of the house there is still a chill. When the kids nap, I take the cover off our gas fireplace and turn it on to take the chill away. I am not looking forward to the hydro bill.

Outgoing
    I recently just moved into a new home with baseboard heaters as well, my bill was $955. I was shocked, I do have a wood burning stove but it's in my dc and I closed it in as I will not use it around the kids.