Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Circle Time

Euphoric !

Circle Time

Circle time: So I need some assistance as my circle time is kinda lame. We sing songs (your basics) and I try and do some active songs but I find it is really lacking. My daughter (4 yrs) HATES circle time. The rest of the kids seem to enjoy it for the most part but it is repetitive. I have someone come in once a week to do a dance class and she is awesome. She has tons of great kids songs and activities she does with them and it's very active. The kids love it. I would like to replicate this somewhat for our circle time. Ideas? Website recommendations for circle time activities?

Kids music: I have bought a few kids cds and they are so lame. Any recommendation for modern (not soft/babyish) kids songs/CD's?

Expansive...
    I find my circle time goes well, I've had lots of practice though. I used to do it when I was teaching in a school too, so I have lead them about a zillion times now for kids from 1 year old to 14 years old.

I always do things in the same order. I have a large calendar that I got laminated and then all the number are laminated too with zelcro on the back so that we add a number every day.

1. Welcome Song
    2. Talk about the calendar, ask who knows what month it is
    3. Sing Days of the Week song and get one of kids to move the marker to the current week day
    4. Count the numbers on the calendar and get one of the kids put the next number on (often will have them do actions as we count, like jump or march)
    5. Read a story, usually tied to my theme. Ask the older kids afterwards to describe what their favourite part of the story was
    6. Do some fingerplays and songs, usually a combo of favourites and some tied to the theme (
    I make up small posters with the words of ones that are new and put on the wall so Idon't forget the words)
    7. Sometimes flannel board songs
    8. Do a hands washing song if we are having snack afterwards
    9. Dismiss the kids one by one in a fun way (if you are wearing red, hand me your mat)

I keep things really active and involve the kids as much as possible. I have a 19 month old, a 21 month old and three 4 year olds.

Most of my songs and activities have come from just googling 'fingerplays' or 'preschool circle time' that go along with my themes. I don't consider myself a good singer but I just go for it because the kids don't care.

My kids like the Little People brand kids CD's.

I know you are looking for more specific details, but it is really hard to describe in writing. I wish I could invite you to my house!

Euphoric !
    A few things I do at circle time....

*sing songs (google children's songs...some will have audio so you can learn the tune too (not that I sing in tune lol) and you can print them off too) I will change songs to include their name ie. 5 little monkeys jumping on the bed, Andy fell off...Steven called (my name), I sing this until all of the children have had their turn falling off the bed and calling me. This is their favourite song!

*read stories related to our monthly theme

*I have a couple posters that I switch out and we discuss them ie. food poster, talk about what all the pictures are and than each child gets to tell us what their favourite is. Other posters are shapes, animals, colours, numbers etc

*Gather a handful of small/medium toys and a blanket. Talk about the toys, say their names, put them in a line and cover with blanket. Take one away and remove blanket, ask the children which one is missing. I do one at a time because my kids are young but older kids should be able to guess multiple toys gone

*finger plays and songs

*Afternoon circle's I will ask the children what they are going to do that night and what mom/dad are going to make for supper. Friday afternoon circle time we discuss our plans for the weekend and what they want to do with mom/dad

*I made flashcards for a few different themes and we will talk about the picture, what they do/say and than play memory or match them up

Starting to feel at home...
    I do pretty much the same as Amandakdt. I bought 3 kids CD's at the dollar store about 3 years ago. The kids love them. Recently I was at the dollar store and bought the CD and book they have of children's songs. They like it and I love the songs. I keep the kids involved as well. My helper of the day get to sing the intro of the circle time song. Then says our Listen Listen book (they know it by heart) The child who is the helper sits on the red chair when we are sitting throughout the day and choose snowman or snowflake for the calendar day. I can't sing but I don't mind singing with the kids. We let loose and they love the involvement.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaKDT View Post

I keep things really active and involve the kids as much as possible.
    I think 'active' is the key word, at least for my group

Some simple active ideas:
    Tell a story and have the kids act out characters or actions. Familiar stories that you can "tell" and the kids "know".
    Animal songs = act like the animals
    Make a letter or shape or number with their body and/or friend
    Simple stretches - sit with your legs in a V and make pizza. Spread the sauce, sprinkle cheese, chop up pepperoni, etc
    Charades
    Weather actions - have a rainstorm, rain gets louder, louder, louder, BOOM. I have dowels that they tap on the floor for rain, and then clap together for thunder
    Yoga - I am a children's yoga instructor but if you are familiar with some basic yoga poses you can bring that into your circle time. I do it as a separate activity, though.
    Google some fingerplays. My kids love these and it is easy to find some that correspond with your theme or for holidays.

I don't usually have cds for circle time but we usually have music on in the background, otherwise. I really like Sharon Lois and Bram and Charlotte Diamond. I used to have a cd by David Suzuki, too, can't remember what it was called, but it was an environmental one and the kids loved the songs on that. Very catchy and upbeat. I like some of the Barenaked Ladies kids cd. Mostly we listen to to the ones I mentioned, Raffi, Fred Penner and then some music I like, Jack Johnson esp.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nschildcare For This Useful Post: