Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bill 143

Starting to feel at home...

Bill 143

As I'm sure most of daycare providers in Ontario know there are steps being taken to regulate us but not in a positive way in my opinion. I received an e-mail this week asking for my opinion regarding the changes to the DNA and I think it's important that providers and parents voices be heard. I really don't think that parents understand that capping our numbers, 3 under3 including 2 under 2, will adversely affect availability of daycare spaces in homes across Ontario. I will be in the situation next year where 2 of my DC Moms want to bring their 1 year olds but I in all likelihood won't be able to accommodate.
    I would encourage all DCP speak up and e-mail your thoughts to ccge_modernization@o ntario.ca
    We need to have a voice or we may find ourselves unable to do our jobs as our clients want us to.
    Thanks

I knew about us needing to follow the 2 under 2 once this goes into effect, but I understood that no where within Bill 143 is there any mention of the 3 under 3 cap being put into place. While I do believe we should have some minimum standards to meet such as 1st Aid and background checks, I do worry about the effects the caps will have. In my area there is already a great lack of spaces for the under 2 group.

Outgoing
    I sent an email.

Euphoric !
    The 3 under 3 rule is gone and so is the 5 under 5 really as it is all daycare kids counting the same ie school age count too. We would also have to include our own children under the age of 6 in our counts of 5. This will effect those that have children under age 2 of their own the most.

Keep a watch on the Ontario legislature site as the bill goes to second reading in theory the end of the this month. The newsletter from CCPRN this month had a really good article on how the changes will effect home daycare.

@madmom there are a couple of very long extensive threads on here regarding the bill. Check them out to get up to date info. It sounds like you may have the original plans for the change but not the most up to date.

On a side note, does anyone have the info for finding out the dates for the second reading?
    I have this site bookmarked... Www.ontla.on.ca but there is no info as to when the second reading will take place although I've read a number of people's comments on previous threads saying it would be February??

Euphoric !
    They don't start sitting again till Feb 18 which is why people are saying second reading in Feb. We don't know exactly when it will happen. They likely won't update the website till they are back in session.

My bad, the info I got a couple of weeks ago mentioned the 3 under 3 but the newest info says that will be eliminated. This is crazy cause the info keeps changing! Today I read that they will still allow unlicensed daycare with only 5 under 6 including your own children, phew, mine are all older so maybe I will be able to keep doing this job. I really don't want to join with an agency and have to pay them a portion of each dck. I'm sorry if I misled anyone it wasn't my intention.

Euphoric !
    You can go and read the original bill and the info in there. It is just reporters and such are reading into things what they want and they are the ones making the false reports and that is why there is so much mis information out there.

There is nothing in the bill, as it stands now, with regard to the 3 under 3 rule. There is, however, a 2 under 2 rule cited in the bill. I think the 3 under 3 things is being perpetuated by the media who seems to continually incorrectly report on the specific of Bill 143.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post: