Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Do you ever feel guilty?

So I have one family that are sometimes late at pick-up and late with payments. I previously warned them that if they were late for payment they would incur my late payment fee. This time they are owing for both late payment and late pickup. So frustrating! And why do I feel guilty having to charge them this? They are wonderful people and I love their child (which says something because I don't usually "give" myself to the kids ). Ugh. I know I need to stand my ground, but I feel like I'm just "making money" off of them.

Don't feel guilty. Does the telephone company or hydro company feel guilty when you incur late fees? You are providing a service, the fact that you enjoy their child and that they are good people is a bonus, but a service is a service. No matter how "GOOD" a family is...they are looking out for their best interests, if you renag on your policy and contract regarding late fees..then they will not look at you as a serious businesswoman but as the lady down the street who babysits because of her great love of children. Seriously. Start charging late fees from day 1 otherwise you will be walked on. As for "making money of them" ummm.yeah, that's why we are in this business. I certainly don't do it cause I love to take care of other people's children and getting paid is a bonus. Nope.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    You are making money off of them ha ha!!! Unless you are happy to be a volunteer.....get your money. People working anywhere else would not tolerate not being paid, why should you?

I wonder if they have the same crisis of conscience as you are? You are showing your caring side for feeling guilt over charging late fees, "making money off them" as you worded it, but if they were on an equal playing field with you they would not be breaking the rules of their contract with you and taking advantage of your good nature by being repeat offenders AND still have these amounts owed outstanding. Spare your good nature for someone who deserves it, seems like wasted energy to me to be feeling guilty towards someone who should feel the guilt as they owe you money, nice people or not.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    We have to stand by the rules we have set out. Don't feel guilty although sometimes it is easier said than done.

The other thing with rules of contract is that if we don't uphold them, then we don't give the parents any reason to respect them.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have in my policies, that if you are late on payment, care is not resumed until it is paid...late fees and all. then, three strikes and you're out.
    I'm not going to be late on my bills because some parent doesn't have the decency to pay on time. I'm sure they would be pissed if their boss decided that "hey, I don't think I'll pay you until I feel like it".

I think a lot of the time it isn't a case of paying when they feel like it but not a lot of parents want to openly admit to us that they are going through struggles or that they have poor money management skills. It's besides the point as their bill still needs to be paid, and on time, but if they were struggling to pay their credit card bill for example, you shouldn't just ignore it, but call the company and discuss payment options. I would much sooner a parent approach me about payment issues and even late pick up issues and see if we can work things out rather than me have to chase them because they are afraid to confront the problem and can't swallow their pride. It doesn't mean I am going to let them dictate to me when payment will be but I am human and compassionate and understand that some times people get into sticky situations regardless of the cause and sometimes need to be cut a break. Yes their are the moronic parents who always pay late but brag about their next trip overseas while grandma cares for the kid, or comes in with a coffee in hand or showing off new clothes, but not everyone is like this and I think it is good to remember not to paint everyone with the same brush because of these types of parents.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    To answer you....yes, I sometimes feel guilty when I charge my late fee. I have only had to charge it 3x and it was to the same family all 3x! I still charged it though because like the others said, we have to enforce our rules and policies because if we let it slide just once, they will assume it's no big deal and will break that rule/policy again. All 3x they didn't text me to let me know they were going to be late so I think it made a bit easier to accept the money though!

Expansive...
    Perfectly said Bright Sparks! I have never had a parent not pay...but if someone were to have money troubles I would be very willing to talk about it if they came to me as opposed to someone just not paying. Very different situations for me.