Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Expansive...
    I use the dollar store baby terry cloths and a different cloth for each meal. I find they get stinky as well after multiple uses. I do 2 loads of laundry a day for my own family, so I just throw them in too.

Euphoric !
    I have a front loader and I do 5 loads a week ..... That is for my family of 6 and five day care kids. 2 loads of darks 1 whites and 2 sheets/towels

I use regular wash clothes 1 per day per kid. Mine never get stinky either. I let them dry and then toss them in the laundry basket. They are all washed at the end of the week.

I do a LOT of laundry, and it's not because of the daycare kids. I have three of my own, ages 9, 11 and 14. I use a washcloth per child per day. It's not at all a big increase in laundry for me. It doesn't even amount to a quarter of a load per week.

Euphoric !
    I was using baby face cloths. Assign one per kid, per day and leave on the back of the chair/seat to dry between meal/snack times.
    I will admit, though, that I have taken to using a wipe lately. I leave a package of them in the eating area. They are the Costco kind, so I think it works out to 2 cents each?

If the cloths are stinky after one use it is due to bacteria. Even on a hot wash they can still become stinky easily. I swear a small tub next to the washer with a little water and vinegar is where I toss them till laundry day and it prevents the whole stink issue. I don't always get them in the washer the same day which just makes it even worse so the vinegar helps with that too. They are also put through a sanitize wash once a month to give an extra thorough clean and get any stubborn stains out. I have had my cloths for well over a year and they don't need replacing yet. Still look bright, not ugly and worn. I use baby washcloths from kushies and even in a month I couldn't get a half washload which would be 64 washcloths. They are only the size of my hand and are as thin as dress socks so I wouldn't even sweat it on the laundry front.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    If the cloths are stinky after one use it is due to bacteria. Even on a hot wash they can still become stinky easily. I swear a small tub next to the washer with a little water and vinegar is where I toss them till laundry day and it prevents the whole stink issue. I don't always get them in the washer the same day which just makes it even worse so the vinegar helps with that too. They are also put through a sanitize wash once a month to give an extra thorough clean and get any stubborn stains out. I have had my cloths for well over a year and they don't need replacing yet. Still look bright, not ugly and worn. I use baby washcloths from kushies and even in a month I couldn't get a half washload which would be 64 washcloths. They are only the size of my hand and are as thin as dress socks so I wouldn't even sweat it on the laundry front.
    Bright sparks, what do you use to sanitize them, if you don't mind me asking?

II don't like yo use bleach, so I'll admit, I haven't fully "sanitized" them in a while, but I always wash them on hot once a day, to prevent build up (or proliferation) of bacteria. I should give this a shot though.

Euphoric !
    Have debated about looking for a fabric like a stretchy terry fleece that doesn't fray but would still stay damp - not all fleece will. Then cut it into large squares for wiping up. I used to have some terry ones were a full 12" square I used on the counters till they completely wore out that were just squares cut and hemmed on a machine. I used to do them weekly by putting a bucket of water and bleach in the laundry room sink and then soaking them overnight. In the morning I would rinse them out and toss them in the laundry with a load of bedding giving just enough bleach to that load to sanitize it too from the cloths. wonder if that would be an option to make some to use on the daycare kids similar to using a cloth napkin but would have to be something that would hold water.

Quote Originally Posted by 2cuteboys View Post
    Bright sparks, what do you use to sanitize them, if you don't mind me asking?

II don't like yo use bleach, so I'll admit, I haven't fully "sanitized" them in a while, but I always wash them on hot once a day, to prevent build up (or proliferation) of bacteria. I should give this a shot though.
    I have a sanitize setting on my washer which is hotter than just a hot wash. I also have a steam setting. Even with the use of bleach on occasion, my washcloths would still smell so I discontinued using that. I also don't like to use bleach with my daycare kids but it was a last resort to see what would shift the smell. Once I heard about the vinegar it was no longer an issue.

I used only paper towel after the meal and throw in the dustbin