Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Cleaning hands/face after meals

What do you use to wash the children's hands and faces after snacks/meals?

I have a young group (11-14months) and I have them self feed at a child size table. Meals, even snacks, are messy to say the least.

Right now I use baby wipes to scrub them clean. I'd prefer not to use the wipes forever as I go through a ton but I just can't imagine using so many face clothes and the laundry it would bring. I already end up with over a dozen, very messy, full armed bibs each day.

Do you all use one cloth for all the kids? Do you reuse one cloth per child throughout the day?

Euphoric !
    I use baby wipes too even though I know it's costly and bad for the environment. One facecloth per day per child would be a good idea though.

Euphoric !
    I "assign" each child a certain colour cloth and use the same cloth all day on the child (sometimes 2 days). I just hang them in between uses. I also use the Ikea smock type bibs and can usually get a few uses out of them by wiping them quickly and hanging it on their chair until the next meal.

Outgoing
    I use MANY wet wipes. I let the kids wipe themselves and they sometimes have problems getting them out. Licensing doesn't allow us to use face cloths.

Starting to feel at home...
    I use one wash cloth for each child per day and dunk it in a bowl of warm soapy water and let the child wash themselves. Then after each meal/Snack it gets washed in my sink while I do dishes, then hung to dry on a little clothesliney hanger (got it at the dollar store, I think it's intended for hanging delicates to dry) It doesn't take long to do this. I don't feel like nit makes that much laundry.
    Each child uses the same bib all day and I wash them in the sink after afternoon snack. I use the long sleeved kushies bibs and they are great. They dry fast and can easily be wiped off for a quick clean up if snacks are super messy.

I use wipes for the little ones. Anyone over 2, we march to the bathroom sink, line up and take turns washing/drying our hands and face. Sometimes, if my 2 year old is really messy, I will wipe him down with a wipe first, then send him to the bathroom to do a fuller wash.

Outgoing
    I have a wash basin and I put it on the floor beside their table after lunch and call the kiddies one by one to wash up and use the same towel to dry. I used to use individual cloth but found they would get smelly waiting to be washed. I still use wipes for a very messy meal though.

Euphoric !
    One face cloth per child per day and I use the plastic moulded bibs that have the scoop on the bottom. I wash them with the dishes at the end of the meal. I only have one under two and he eats mostly by himself but I feed him yoghurt and soup ect as he holds the spoon in one hand and eats with the other

I used paper towel when I was doing home daycare. The Bounty brand is soft, and you can throw it in the green bin after. I would just lightly dampen it and then wipe. Baby wipes contain alcohol which can be harsh on their skin.

I bought a cheap pack of washcloths from Walmart and use those. They are different colours so each child is assigned a cloth for the day. I have them up on a curtain rod (magnetic and attached to my patio door which is right near the table) so they are always handy and stay organized between snacks and meals.

I wash them with my regular washing (towels, bibs, etc). Usually every 2-3 days.