Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fee increase

Starting to feel at home...

Fee increase

When I started with one of my current families, a year and a half ago, they were splitting 2 FT spaces with another family that moved on almost a year ago. I let them keep the discounted rate for splitting a FT space. However, now they have put one child in playschool Fridays so I only get the one on those days so I am short changed even more. I have had numerous people contact me hoping for a dayhome spot. So....I am doing myself no favours not charging them my daily fee for part time. How do I approach this with them and how much notice should I give? I was thinking about a memo saying that I will no longer be offering a discounted rate for part time starting April 1. And including a copy of my new contract ( a few minor changes). Is this fair?

Euphoric !
    A lot depends on if you are prepared to lose the family. If so then it is fair to make them pay full time for one of the spaces and a part time rate for the second space. Alternately ask them to put the one child in the playschool on all the days, keep the other child part time and fill the one fulltime space.

As for getting a fee increase out of them I probably would have done it when they put the one in playschool and asked for a reduction and have told them sorry no can do I am already subsidizing you enough as it is. For sure start there and say ok enough is enough I need to have these spaces earning income and then look at options. Not sure on the amount but can you talk to them first to work something out instead of suddenly hitting them with an ultimatum. It is still your choice of price and contract but it is always nicer if we can give parents the chance to do right by us before we legislate it in.

Starting to feel at home...
    Both children are in a 3 day per week spot Tues/Wed/Thurs. They both have been using 2-4 fridays a month as well; and paying my daily rate for those as it's above the 3 days a week spot (so extra). I was told just a couple of weeks ago about the change to their Fridays and since the Fridays are extra and not contracted I don't think I can say too much. I was told that she would be bringing the dayhome girl every Friday from now on so I would still get paid the same...she only booked 2 Fridays this month for her. So, I do think just a fee increase memo is my only option. How much notice is fair?

Euphoric !
    I'd say a month or two is fair notice. But like Playfelt said, be prepared to loose them in case they decide to go elsewhere.