Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Advise re: Teachers pls

ok veterans- How do you handle teachers? I have an inquiry into care and I have never had a teacher before and I don't know what to do re: summers off. Do you charge a % of regular rate or do you just let them off? Truly I wouldn't mind a teacher kid because it would lighten the load over the summer when my own child is home from school I would love to have your opinions! and Thanks!

Starting to feel at home...
    My first was a teacher and I handled it wrong. It was part time, different days every week. She didn\t pay for stats, Christmas break, March Break, PD days, or summer holidays. I held her spot for $0 through the summer, then she gave notice after being back 1 month after I told her the situation wasn't working for me and I tried to compromise.

I'd either charge a higher daily rate and save the extra for the summer and school breaks, or have her pay a holding fee (whatever makes it worth it to you) for the time she will be away.

What I've done in the past and am currently doing now is offer to go to a 3 day part time schedule during the summer months. I also charge for stats, pd days, etc. The only break is the summer months, I give them up to 7 wks total. Then it's back to full time 5 day rate.

Euphoric !
    I have 1 teacher. I charge her for full-time no matter what. I do on the other hand try and fill the spot for her for July/August. She does know that in order to hold her spot if I can't find someone for summer care that she has to pay for the 2 months. I do charge a reduced holiday rate (just started). She is away for spring break so I charge them less per day for that week and they keep her home. Win, win. She feels like she is getting a deal and I have 1 less child and still getting paid most of what I would normally get.

I have always found a child for the summer months. Usually a sibling of one of the daycare kids who is normally in school or someone just needing the 2 months.

Euphoric !
    I have always had a teacher or two in my daycare. I offer a $10/day discount for anyone who takes their child out for holidays. The teachers have a few options for summers...they can either send their child like normal, keep their child home and pay the holiday fee(I don't fill their spot so if they want to come they can) or if I can find a summer child they get the summer off free of charge.

Outgoing
    I have a mom who works for the school board in the office. She is on the same schedule as teachers. I have given her the option of an extra $10 fee per day or a minimum of 3 days in the summer/holidays. She chose the 3 day a week option.

Euphoric !
    I have a teacher currently in care and she pays full time from sept to end of june and 3 days per week during the summer

Expansive...
    3 day a week minimum in the summer at my higher part-time rate, and FT during Sept-June months.

Euphoric !
    My regular fee is $200 a week. For teachers I charge them $225 a week from Sept to June including the school breaks. I charge two weeks deposit the beginning of June to hold their space for Sept (money applies to care for the beginning of sept - just paid up front. The money they paid during the school year entitles them to one day of care a week for the summer.

I have been stiffed in the past by a teacher saying oh yeah will keep child in care for the summer or agree to pay a holding fee and then come June change their mind and leave figuring they had all summer to find another caregiver so why pay for nothing. With my way they are paying up front so if they do leave in June then I have been paid a severance to cover my losses.

I charge teachers $5 more per day throughout the school year. They also pay that fee over March break and Christmas break but I let them off the hook for paying for the summer and I hold their spot. The reason I do it this way is I make an additional $1000 UPFRONT through the school year. This way I get paid UPFRONT and can not get hosed by a parent doing the daycare shuffle. In the past I have had teachers tell me they will stay through the summer or pay a fee for the summer but then give notice in June. Now I get my fees upfront.