Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Nut allergy question and advice

So, I have a dcg 14 mos who has been with me for 4 months. Dcm tells me this morning that dcg is being tested for a peanut allergy. Apparently she had a reaction (swelling of her ear and hives) so the doctor wants to test her. She never mentioned this to me at all until today. She did mention that she will be getting an epi pen to bring here if she ends up being allergic.

So, I am a nut friendly house. My kids eat pb here at breakfast, while dcg is in the house, although I never serve it to dcks. I eat nuts and nut flours. I don't plan to change our diet. I also know that my other dcfs eat pb at their houses.

In other words, I can't guarantee a safe environment for this child. I will be telling mom that if she is allergic, I will have to term for the safety of her child.

Now, I don't know when she is getting tested. I don't know if her reaction is considered severe or not or if it can get worse.

I do know that I am extremely worried about her being here right NOW. She has nothing if she was to react to nuts exposure and I don't think that an ambulance would get here in under 10 minutes.

How would you handle this? I have contacted some of my provider friends and someone has an immediate opening and can accomodate the allergy.... so I am really leaning towards being done immediately.

I don't want to risk this little one's safety but I don't want to be overreacting, either, kwim?

I think your gut instinct IS the way to go. You are honest about what works for your family and daycare and that includes nut products so your home probably isn't the safest environment. If you wanted to eliminate nuts all together until the child has been tested and any allergy confirmed then go ahead but in all likelihood it sounds like this child IS allergic to peanuts and they will need a peanut free environment for their own safety. If you intend to stick things out until it is confirmed then I would write a letter home to all parents advising of a possible peanut allergy and ask that parents be sure to wash their child's hands and face properly with warm soapy water prior to entry into daycare and that no child should arrive eating food and that no outside food is allowed. I would also get the parent to confirm ASAP the date of the child's appointment with their allergist and let them know how important it is that you are kept in the loop, every step of the way. The liability is huge and if you plan to continue to eat nut products then it is probably best for both the child and yourselves to have the child placed elsewhere immediatly.

Euphoric !
    How difficult! I personally would not take on a child with a severe allergy because we are not going to stop having peanuts in our home etc., so I cannot provide a safe environment. It really sucks that this child is settled in your care prior to the allergy suspicion.

Make sure you are very clear that peanuts are eaten in the home and that the child will be exposed to the peanuts. Whether you continue care is really up to you. It is hard to term a child especially when it is not yet determined. But, the child needs to be safe.

I personally believe that children with severe allergies are best in a centre based daycare or at home with a nanny where exposure can be control, or where there are other adults present should the child have a severe reaction.

If you term explain to the mom that should the child need to use the epi-pen you need to call an ambulance and send her child off with OUT you or anyone else. Meaning you need to stay with your other children and her child goes off in an ambulance with just the paramedics. That may put things in perspective for her to realize why you are terming.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I'm the same as you, nschildcare - my house is nut friendly and I wouldn't be comfortable having a child with a potential nut allergy in my care. I know that some providers are fine with it, but not me.
    You're in a tough position because you don't yet know for certain the severity of the allergy. I think the first step is to find out when the appointment is, ask mom if she can request to be put on a cancellation list and explain to mom your concerns about the potential nut allergy. I would tell her that your home is nut friendly and you are a bit concerned about how to proceed given the possibility of an allergy so you need to know as soon as possible.
    I would probably wait for a diagnosis before terminating, however, if you're not feeling this family and are looking for a way out, this is a perfect opportunity.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gravy_train For This Useful Post:

I have been in a similar situation where I have had a child in my care for a succession of months prior to the allergy being identified. I did chose to keep the child on and became a peanut free home. It wasn't difficult as I don't have processed foods that may contain traces, and PB is not in my house. I had a much harder time with controlling the parents and what they served for breakfast. The amount of children who come with pb and jam smeared behind ears and in hair daily is crazy, even after numerous verbal and written requests regarding the peanut allergy. It's like these parents have a head like a sieve, or have never come across these kinds of allergies and are somehow oblivious to the reality surrounding potentially lethal allergies. I would never knowingly take a child with nut allergies on and the more time goes on, any allergy. Not just for liability but simply because it is a lot of work after a while. If you are peanut free then it's a much easier allergy to deal with than egg or dairy for example. I have a current little guy who has just developed an egg allergy so now I have had to change my pasta and it just seems like these days there is always something and its just getting old. Kiwi, dairy, egg and cream cheese(separate child from dairy) are all foods that my gang between them can't have, oh and a child who is allergic to dog saliva. ((sigh)) lol

Man. I am really nervous about the whole thing. I am going to chat with mom but I think I am going to have to term Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by gravy_train View Post
    I'm the same as you, nschildcare - my house is nut friendly and I wouldn't be comfortable having a child with a potential nut allergy in my care. I know that some providers are fine with it, but not me.
    You're in a tough position because you don't yet know for certain the severity of the allergy. I think the first step is to find out when the appointment is, ask mom if she can request to be put on a cancellation list and explain to mom your concerns about the potential nut allergy. I would tell her that your home is nut friendly and you are a bit concerned about how to proceed given the possibility of an allergy so you need to know as soon as possible.
    I would probably wait for a diagnosis before terminating, however, if you're not feeling this family and are looking for a way out, this is a perfect opportunity.
    I won't take on families with nut allergies for exactly this reason. And actually, a family with nut allergies wouldn't want to come here. I will have to term if it is confirmed.
    Last edited by nschildcare; 02-18-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    I have been in a similar situation where I have had a child in my care for a succession of months prior to the allergy being identified. I did chose to keep the child on and became a peanut free home. It wasn't difficult as I don't have processed foods that may contain traces, and PB is not in my house. I had a much harder time with controlling the parents and what they served for breakfast. The amount of children who come with pb and jam smeared behind ears and in hair daily is crazy, even after numerous verbal and written requests regarding the peanut allergy. It's like these parents have a head like a sieve, or have never come across these kinds of allergies and are somehow oblivious to the reality surrounding potentially lethal allergies. I would never knowingly take a child with nut allergies on and the more time goes on, any allergy. Not just for liability but simply because it is a lot of work after a while. If you are peanut free then it's a much easier allergy to deal with than egg or dairy for example. I have a current little guy who has just developed an egg allergy so now I have had to change my pasta and it just seems like these days there is always something and its just getting old. Kiwi, dairy, egg and cream cheese(separate child from dairy) are all foods that my gang between them can't have, oh and a child who is allergic to dog saliva. ((sigh)) lol
    I know I am not going to be able to be nut-free here. I am always careful sending my kids to school cleaned but I know some parents just aren't aware. I really don't want to take on my dcfs unawareness or forgetfulness as a liability, either.

Euphoric !
    I would transfer her because you can minimize the risk. I have a child with a nut allergy. I became nut free for her actually. It wasn't a big deal for me though. I rarely served nuts anyways as I don't eat a ton and either do my kids. The other difference that made me able to accommodate her is that my daycare is separate from my house so I didn't have to worry a ton about cross contamination etc.

Expansive...
    I would term ASAP ! Personally !! I would not take a child with peanut allergy as it my own dd fav!! I would be a basket case ! I am sure we all know how fast the tables would turn if an allergy reaction occurred , the media does not paint private daycares fair in the least !! And I could only imagine what they would say about having a child in your home that might have an allergy and then something were to happen !
    The parent should be the one pulling her child out until more is known !!! I can't imagine sending my child to a place knowing something could harm her !!! But if she's not I would be !! It's not worth the potential risk to the child or to you !