Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Shared Bedroom ideas

This is a question about my own kids and their shared bedroom. By choice we have both girls in the same bedroom, one in a single bed and one still in a crib (they are 4.5 years old and 21 months old).

It is a very small bedroom and we are trying to figure out the best way to arrange it to make best use of the space once my youngest is ready to be out of her crib.

My 3 ideas for options are bunk bed, single beds or sharing a double or queen size bed. The idea of a bed with a trundle also came up, but I am not sure if that is practical for every day.

Not sure I like the bunk bed idea because of their ages and I know they like to be able to see each other. They love sharing a room.

So to the experienced mamas out there with kids that shared bedrooms...what would you do?

I need something that will work for the long term because we can only afford to buy furniture one time.

Outgoing
    My 2 girls (5 1/2 and 15 months) share a room, and have no choice in the matter as we have 3 bedrooms and a 4 year old son as well, who aside from being a different gender, is also a terrible sleeper and could never manage to share a room.

The room is small, probably only about 9 by 11ish, so it's crowded. What we have currently is a twin bed and a crib. The twin is part of a set of bunk beds that can be separated, and my son has the other. When my little one is big enough, she'll use her sister's old toddler bed, and then we will put the girls in the bunks when they are big enough and my son will get a new bed.

Getting beds that can be stacked but don't have to be was a good option I think because it give us flexibility and we don't have to buy again if we decide we want to change up their current set up.

To maximize space, their closet has 4 of those 3-drawer plastic dressers from walmart, 2 side-by-side and 2 above. They fit perfectly and still give room for a bar to hang coats and dresses. My older daughter has a floating shelf above the end of her bed for baskets of little things that her sister can't have...hair clips and nail polish and whatnot. She stands on her bed to get at it, and her sister can't reach. Good luck!

Starting to feel at home...
    We have always had room sharers. At one point, we had 3 in one room, with bunkbeds, 2 on the bottom and one on top.

Now we are down to 2 in one room. They are 6 and 8 and have bunkbeds, which work well for space, but they usually end up bed sharing still anyways. Like 95% of the time. When they are unhappy with each other, they will sleep separately. Or when the younger one is snoring, lol!

I would be nervous with the younger one going on the top bunk bed, too. Might work okay if they stayed on the bottom but there will always be that worry in the back of my head that the little one would get up there and fall.

is there the possibility that they may each end up in their own room one day? I would maybe go with one bed to share for now.

Euphoric !
    I personally would go for bunk beds that can separate. This way you can try the bunk beds now or wait and have two separate beds, even push them together if you like the big bed idea (I foresee this being a problem though).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    My two girls shared and we bought them the mates beds with the drawers under and then all they had in the room were the beds and no dressers. We were able to move the one further down the wall so there was about a 4 foot area from headboard to wall and they used that as a playhouse area for their dolls with a colourful rug, etc. It also offset the beds so that they couldn't just roll over and see each other as easily and it stopped some of the chatting at bedtime. They shared from the time they were about the age of your kids till they were in high school and we moved my son to a basement bedroom.

Expansive...
    My two girls shared a double , starting at ages 2 and 4 . My younger sister and I ended up together all the time and we loved it !!!! So as soon as my youngest was out of the crib I was so excited to start the tradition with my girls !! They shared a room and bed until they were 21 and 17 ( by choice ) they never went through the I hate my sibling phase ! Now that I have a 5 yr old as well , I will find her curled up to her big sis !!!!

When my two oldest were younger we (the same age as yours but just out of a crib) we had bunk beds that can be separated. They were terrific. After my third child, when my middle child was 11, we got him a set of double bunk on the botton and single on top. He was able to have company in his own room and a big bed for him when he was younger.

Expansive...
    Thank you wonderful ladies for your advice. I try to be very careful with my money, so put alot of thought into everything I do. You have given me new things to think about! I hadn't even thought about bunk beds that separate, and beds with the storage underneath are so useful too!

My sister and I shared rooms until we were teenagers and there are lots of memories (though we DID go through the fighting phase and at one point threw each other's stuff out our second floor window! LOL).

My boys (4 and 2) share a bed room with single beds. We found the beds at Sears and were really cheap, and super cute. It has drawers underneath and lots of storage on the headboard. I highly suggest looking into these beds! They do not have them on their website, but they were on display in store. If you pm me I can send you a picture!

Oh and they were VERY reasonably priced. Best deal we found after searching TONS of stores.

Euphoric !
    I have always had kids sharing rooms, in various different arrangements. With 2 boys, and 2 girls of varying ages (currently 12, 10, 6 and 2).
    Right now my boys are in separate rooms, and the girls share a room. Currently we have a single bed and a crib in there. When my youngest is ready, we will take the side off the crib and use it as a toddler bed for a year or so. Then, the plan is to have bunk beds. I wouldn't do bunk beds until the smallest kid is 3 or older (even if you plan to put them on the bottom bunk), but that might just be me.
    Love all the options above. You could also do a loft bed for the oldest, and a regular for the youngest. Can do a bunk bed style set up, or move it around. We had a loft bed for my oldest daughter, and all her "stuff" was underneath, a little play area. But the little one kept climbing up there, and she was only 1 at the time.