Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Leappad learning tablets

I'd like more advice. A couple of my kids bring their leappad. It's kept in their cubby until I deem it's an appropriate time to play with it. There are some awesome learning games on them. I'm in the middle of trying to get an Ipad for them but also think it might be a good idea for a Leappad. The two children I have that bring them will be heading to school this Sept. and I feel they would be of benefit to the other kids. Thoughts? Advice?

Outgoing
    I personally try to steer clear of them during the daytime hours. My son has one (off limits except during quiet time when he is the only one up), but it's in my contract that children aren't to bring them.

IMO it's more important for kids at this age to practice social, play and gross motor skills than work at curriculum. The leapPads, while educational, suck the kids into a seated, independent play and they tend to zone out and ignore those around them. And I've found them to be a time-suck, as it's very hard to limit the kids to 10 minutes (though maybe it's just because my own kids argue with me over everything).

I'd give the kids a short time to play with them during quiet time, if they don't nap, other than that, I can't see myself using them for daycare use.

Euphoric !
    I would never supply anything like this. My daughter has a leap pad and it is awesome but she doesn't use it a lot. I have let daycare kids bring their leap pads, ipod's from home but only used at nap time (if they don't nap). I do allow them the full two hours of nap time because it is no different than 2 hours of TV IMO.

Euphoric !
    Just out of curiosity as I have been looking into these used. Is there a big difference between the different models? I have seen the Leapster, Leapster 2 and Leapster DS (or something like that). Do the games work on all models if I buy used, can I still get games for them? My daughter is going to be 4 in March.

Euphoric !
    we have a Leap Pad Explorer 2. No the games are not compatible with all the different leap pads. It is pretty much a game boy (totally dating myself here lol) but is more geared to learning type games. My daughter got hers when she was almost 3. Games are geared to 4 and up. You can still get games. We also download games off the computer.

Euphoric !
    Is there a difference between the "Leapster 2" and "Leap Pad 2?" TIA

Euphoric !
    I think they are the same thing but not 100% sure. I do think they take the same games though, could just be a different shape.

Expansive...
    They are not the same. The leapster is like a small hand held game and the leap pad is like an iPad for kids. The leap pad ultra has wireless Internet access. My daughter has a leap pad. She loves it and it has many fun educational activities. It's a touch screen so has things like letter tracing to practice printing etc.

To the original poster....I would not provide these in my daycare. Personally, most kids I know spend plenty of time with electronics at home.