Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Valentine's disappointment

My daycare families have had my Feb. calendar of activities for over 3 weeks, and of course it highlighted our Valentine's party today. Several reminders to parents last week and this week to bring cards etc for our exchange. We sit down for our circle to do the exchange today, and realize that one preschool girl didn't bring any cards for peers. She had a meltdown and it took 1/2 hr to get her calm. My heart broke for her, and the other preschoolers kept asking her why she didn't bring any.
    I'm sure her parents will feel like tools when they see all the loot she got from the other families. Just my Friday rant. TGIF.

Euphoric !
    We exchanged cards this year as well but I bought a few packages and had the kids "sign them" during daycare and we handed them out yesterday at our party. This was for a few reasons, I saw this as an opportunity for the older kids to practice writing their names, it gave us something to do and also so everyone had something to give/receive. I never mentioned to the families that we were making cards for each other but they knew about the party. One boy brought cards to the party so with the exception of my girls and dcb, none of the other parents thought to do this. As a parent I don't know if I would think to do this as the kids are so little but who knows.

Euphoric !
    Aww that is hard on the one child who doesn't have something to hand out.

We exchanged ours this morning and everyone had brought cards and they even brought cards for the new boy who has only been here 4 days I think? (only mon/tues's) One child comes wed to fri and they even brought a card for him which I thought was super nice and considerate. One mom sent cupcakes as well so we had those for dessert at lunch.

Starting to feel at home...
    All of my parents knew of our Valentines Day party today, and they all showed up empty handed. Luckily, regardless of them not having anything for each other, I planned a busy day, so each child has a lot of things going home. Valentines from my boys, baked cookies (decorated by each child), a really cute hand print/heart butterfly, and a goodie bag from me, filled with stickers, candy, chocolate, stickers, pencils ect.

It still would of been nice to have the parents take part though. At least some wore red, white or pink

Expansive...
    We are spoiled....four out of five families brought in goody bags. The parents are usually awesome for Valentine's, Halloween and Christmas to do this for all the kids. It takes a bit of time obviously and it is a bit tough to store and sort them out at home time but it is so thoughtful and generous. The kids have been excited all day about their piles.
    Attached Images

Euphoric !
    Busy ECE Mommy - for situations like that I always have extra cards on hand. That way you could quickly write out cards for the child in the morning when you realize that some were forgotten. Then she could have handed out your cards to her friends.

I usually send out an email a week before Valentine's with a list of the kid's names so they have the correct spelling for the cards.

I have to say that I am really impressed with my parents this year. I only had 1 mom just bring cards (that is great too) but everyone else put other stuff with it. There are stickers, tattoos, chocolates, suckers, glow sticks, other treats! I had all kids wear red or pink today (I reminded at pickup last night).

That being said my daughter's pre-school had no parents offer to bring treats yesterday at their party. I was the only one who did (they sent out a newsletter asking for parents to volunteer to bring snacks). I just can't believe that parents can be so lazy sometimes. You don't have to make it, you can buy something if you are in a time crunch.
    Last edited by mickyc; 02-14-2014 at 01:22 PM.

Outgoing
    We aren't exchanging cards during daycare because one boy didn't bring cards. I didn't ask anyone to bring anything, and I have a little present to send home with each child. The boy that didn't bring cards brought me flowers today. He was so excited to give them to me. I think it probably never occurred to this family that he should bring cards, which is fine. I'm sure they would have brought something if I had asked them.
    Does the girl have a sibling in school? Maybe her parents were so busy getting valentines for school that they didn't even think about daycare? (Never mind, I just read the part about the reminders you gave out) That's really sad they didn't think of how their child would feel being the only one without cards to give out.

Euphoric !
    Tremble, our goody bags sound the same!! The girls got stickers, lypsol,pencils, colouring book, hair clips and a chocolate sucker, one boy got a cars storybook, stickers, water bottle, pencils and choc sucker and the other boy got a stuffed animal, colouring books, bubble wands and stickers. He has a dairy allergy so no chocolate!

I sent a text last night saying to wear red/pink or pj's or vday pj's. 3 came in vday pj's and one came in a gorgeous red party dress! I'm wearing my vday jammies too
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 02-14-2014 at 01:28 PM.

Euphoric !
    I ended up having to alter my V-day plans for the group a little bit, as one girl was going home immediately after lunch. But we have made cards for the parents, a little heart craft (thanks again, Pinterest!) and everyone will be taking a goody bag home with cards etc from their friends. For snack this morning, we had cupcakes (yes, at 9:30 am, LoL) and for snack this afternoon I am making mini- heart shaped pies and some strawberry yogurt. Everyone wore red or pink.

Poor little kiddo that didn't bring anything. Makes me think that next year, I will keep some extras on hand, for that type of scenario.

Outgoing
    I told the parents that we're doing Valentine's activities on Thursday and Friday. Four out of six of my families brought valentine gifts for the children. I find that it's usually the same moms that do this. Three of the four moms even gave me little goodies. One dcb is usually dropped off or picked up by grandma as mom has been sick off and on for the last couple of years. So totally understandable!