Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hanging About

Starting to feel at home...
    When I have a 'silly' child, a 'screwing around' parent, or the last child of the day this is what I do. I get the childs shoes/boots and sweater on, grab the jacket and sit on the carpeted area that is near the front door. We sing silly songs, do flash cards, point to body parts (all depends on the age of the child) and when that door bell rings, I stand up, unlock the door, open it, walk back to the child and put the jacket on while discussing the childs day. The children all know (even my youngest daycare children) that they are NOT allowed to cross the line to the carpeted area with their boots on, so this prevents them from running away and starting a high speed (and tiring) chase.

Expansive...
    I have a strict late policy thanks to the ladies on this forum , so I dress the child and have them ready ( the ones that cause problems ) doorbell rings and I open and hand over standing in the doorway ! I keep positive and friendly !!
    You are doing such a long day !! Maybe have her ready !!! No entry , until it becomes the normal routine . You are staying open later for her so she should understand she is cutting into your personal time ! I might even text after and let her know about her child's day and how busy of a time it is for you !
    Last edited by Secondtimearound; 02-14-2014 at 03:44 PM.

Expansive...
    It's not worth it to cater to the needs of one parent, and make your days so long. Impose $1/minute late fees or start looking for a new client and set an earlier closing time, so your days can finish sooner.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    The kid would be dressed, with bag packed and in my arms when mom arrives. I'd pass her over at the door (without mom inside).
    "Exactly". I dress pokey children and children of pokey parents, period.

Thanks for your input, everyone. I have decided that I will tell the mother it isn't working any more, because, really, it isn't.

Just as an aside, she did not ask permission to take the apple. It's an apple, I know, but my reaction was also WOW.

I had words with her via text this past weekend. She hadn't paid me as of 11 am on Saturday, when fees are due by 6pm Friday. This happens regularly, as I said. She was squabbling with me about $10, and then suddenly, the $10 was no big deal, and I was splitting hairs. I told her firmly that from now on, even one minute after 5:30, she is charged the extra $10, and after 6:30, it'd be another $10 again. I also mentioned that it was a $30 late fee for payment past 6pm on Fridays, and that it wasn't personal, but that's what she'd be paying from hereon in. She didn't even have the manners to reply. Ugh.

You think after years of daycare, I'd learn not to do "special" as Judy says, and I'd have learned that my time is precious.

Euphoric !
    Good job Sally! Hopefully she listens better now

As for the apple, I would have given it to her but to be asked first would have been nice.....and for most, common sense and courtesy!! Sheesh lol

Outgoing
    I hope it works out for you Sally - she doesn't sound like a client I would like to have. Paying late, arriving late to pick up her child and lacking common courtesy (taking food from your house without asking).
    If she doesn't shape up I would seriously consider replacing her.

If I didn't terminate immediately for the long day let alone the rudeness, I would at the very least confront her about this without beating around the bush. Can I ask how she managed to stay for 35minutes? Did you not ask her to leave? I appreciate those parents hanging around past pick up time but did you lose your voice? I really am not meaning to be rude, but I simply can't understand how she managed to stay that long unless you didn't say anything to her to tie things up so she would leave. Also if I had been in MY kitchen with a guest, invited or otherwise, I would have seen the child grab the apple and taken it from her immediately and put it back. If I was passive about the incident, I would have still said " Sweety you need to ask not just take if you would like one of Sandbox Sally's apples, but now isn't the time because you need to go home for supper." Sometimes I think because we don't confront things head on, it can result in a way that we allow these things to go on to a certain extent. If we "dance around" the real issue instead of just calling a spade a spade, it just makes things worse. Why not just say, excuse me but it is already very late and I need you to be here on time as agreed and pick up to be very quick. You are well within your rights and it is not rude to say that at all. I would still be polite about the whole situation but wouldn't avoid the point for fear of the parent's response. If the parent still didn't get the hint, which I totally get happens, I would simply say "WOW its 7:05, I am closed so its time for you to go, see you in the morning" and with that I would hold the door open for them to leave. If they missed that hint, then I wouldn't invest anymore time into "STUPID". It's not a condition I have the ability to treat

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

I have issues with confrontation. I get anxious. That is the reason that I didn't tell her to leave. I am working on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox Sally View Post
    I have issues with confrontation. I get anxious. That is the reason that I didn't tell her to leave. I am working on this.
    Believe it or not I get it. I am much better in my business now, but that has come with time. I am a pushover in general as I am a caregiver by nature not just in my profession and want to help and rather than set my own boundaries and confront people when they take advantage of me, I just let them walk all over me. I am a work in progress too I think it's likely that this parent knows that they can take advantage of you and do it all the more and it's just not okay. This isn't a person I would want to be dealing with anymore and it sounds very much like the best thing to do is give notice and replace this child with a much more respectful family and cut out the crazy long hours. If you need to keep the child on for financial reasons, or its difficult to fill spots right now or because the child is usually a great kid, then I urge you to TRY to confront this issue in the following ways.

1. If you don't want the face to face confrontation, write the parent a letter stating pick up policy. Even have a duplicate copy with it so they have to sign and return a copy to acknowledge receipt, that they have read it and the change to their contract. State that X is your closing time so they need to have picked up and left by that time. You can make it nicey nicey by explaining that this is because it is already late and you have your own family to think of in addition to preparation for the following daycare day.

2. This is a biggy...change your pay schedule. I have said this on numerous posts. The biggest issue I find with late payment or none payment on this forum is from providers who are not paid in advance. This is good practice anyway, but for a parent who is a notoriously consistent late payer, you are more than justified to change that in your contract, effective immediately. Make sure you ask for 3 months post dated cheques for the Friday or Monday for the following 2 week period.

With any luck this will clear things up because unfortunately by not saying this to them, you are in effect letting them know that what they are doing currently is okay and without consequence. What's the worst that could happen? They'd simply give you notice instead of the other way round.

Good Luck