Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hanging About

Hanging About

Would anyone here charge for parents and daycare kids hanging around after closure? I have a family that I extended my hours for (NEVER AGAIN!), so it's already disruptive to my family to have dck here an hour past everyone else, but recently, dck (just turned three) has decided it's funny to run around the house, or pick up toys and refuse to put them down or just lay on the ground when her mom gets here.

Her mother is very soft, and doesn't discipline or really tell her no. I remind her in a firm voice that it's time to go home. I even say, "SandboxSally is tired. I have things to do. You have to put on your coat and leave now", with the hope that mom will get the message and get more agressive, but it doesn't happen.

The other night, they were here 35 minutes past pick up time. This now means that I am an hour and 35 minutes past my close, and it's after 7pm. I was livid. Mom came in and sat at my kitchen table, and proceeded to wash off an apple that dck plucked from my fruit bowl, and give it to her child.

Anyway, I am thinking of terminating, as the extended hours are not working here and I feel her parents are disrespectful of our agreement. Often, dad is home, but I am still expected to work the extra hour, which I think is a lot to put on me. I do get paid an extra $10 a day, but to be honest, it's no longer worth it to me.

So, my question is, would you charge extra if the family wasn't taking hints? l am now working twelve hour days, and I just want them to LEAVE. I can't have her ready at the door, as mom shows up between 6:10 and 6:40.

Euphoric !
    The kid would be dressed, with bag packed and in my arms when mom arrives. I'd pass her over at the door (without mom inside).

Euphoric !
    Have her ready at 6:10. Strapped in a highchair or something working on a puzzle or other easy to tidy toy. If she has to sit, dressed for 30min it's the kid/mom's own fault.

Euphoric !
    Honestly I would tell mom that the extended time is not working anymore. There would be no way I would work longer especially for 1 child. You wont have to terminate because mom will likely find a new daycare or follow your new hours. There would be no way I would stand for that behaviour! If mom isn't taking the hint, takeover, be firm and dress her child for her. I actually had to put a child in timeout the other day when mom was picking up and letting bad behaviour happen. She took the hint and has begun to just get her child and go instead of letting him run around and misbehave.

Euphoric !
    I would tell mom that you can no longer offer the extended hours as it is conflicting with your family schedule and family time. I would let her know that she can either pick up at your normal closing time or she will have to find alternate care and that you understand if that is the option she needs to take. I would give her two weeks notice (or whatever is in your contract).

I would also ask that she texts you when she is on her way and that way you can get the child dressed (or the child can get dressed themselves depending on age)

edited...please tell me she at least asked if she could give the apple to her child??? If not, wow!! lol
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 02-14-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Euphoric !
    Lee Bee, I hope you don't mean it's the child's fault?

30 minutes is a long time for a child to sit in a heated house with winter clothing on.

Euphoric !
    If the child (3yrs) is choosing to run around being silly, even after the caregiver gives firm warnings/reminders then the child does need to take responsibility. It's not a 12month old...by 3yrs they know the caregiver means business. Obviously the mom owns most of the problem...but the child is old enough to understand that because of their behavior they now have to sit and wait by the door. One would hope that after a week of this they can try again and the child will know enough to get dressed and go.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Yikes...no fun! Personally, I would say things have changed and I am no longer able to provide extended hours.

If you decide to continue to offer the extra hour and just want them to leave faster, is there a way you could get the child ready and hand over when mom gets there? Like a gated entry way where mom arrives so you can dress on one side and hand over the gate and off they go? Or Mom could text from driveway?

Euphoric !
    AW, HECK NO!!!!
    That is beyond ridiculous. I have learned (through experience) that my hours are my hours for a reason. I have set my hours based on what MY FAMILY needs, and then based on what the client's needs are. Not the other way around. I would also have her dressed and ready at the door from 6:00 on. If you need to leave her coat off, so she doesn't get too hot, that works too. But I would sit by the door/entry and read stories or do puzzles with her. When mom arrives, put the coat on and hand her over, saying "Goodnight, see you tomorrow!" And then, literally close the door in her face if need be. That may seem rude, but her sitting at your table, staying insanely late and eating your food (I don't even care if she DID ask permission) trespasses over a lot of social boundaries.
    If you don't stop this now, you know it will only get worse.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    If the child (3yrs) is choosing to run around being silly, even after the caregiver gives firm warnings/reminders then the child does need to take responsibility. It's not a 12month old...by 3yrs they know the caregiver means business. Obviously the mom owns most of the problem...but the child is old enough to understand that because of their behavior they now have to sit and wait by the door. One would hope that after a week of this they can try again and the child will know enough to get dressed and go.
    Sorry, I read your first comment wrong. I thought you meant it was the child's fault for the mom arriving late. Yes, she is old enough to know better. I have a couple kids who turn into totally different children once the parent shows up. They are 2.5. I tell them everyday that when mom/dad comes it is time to go and no silly business. Of course it doesn't work though because the parents aren't enforcing it. I still put more blame on the parents than the child though. They are acting like that as a result of the parenting.

It annoys me too when pick ups go late or chaotic but I try to remind myself that it's better than a child running out the door wanting to get away from me! lol