Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Payday woes

Starting to feel at home...

Payday woes

First let me start by saying I really like the people I am working for and their 2 children are pretty good but I am having issues with getting paid on time! When the Mom started with me in November she told me she is very absent minded and true to her word I have had to text every 2 weeks to remind it is payday. Sigh. I hate having to remind, it is a little demeaning, and often the cheque isn't brought until Saturday or Sunday. I even sent home a list of paydays by date and the amounts and mentioned how convenient post dated cheques are but...no help what so ever. I am one of those providers that has no backbone at all and don't want to start threatening but I know if their jobs didn't pay them on time they'd be livid and all over HR or the union to get their money. Please help me figure out a nice way to tell them to get their $&*! together.
    This job is frustrating enough without having to chase the adults as much as the children

Have a frank chat with mom. "Sally, I am tired of receiving my payment late. I know you have mentioned that you have trouble remembering pay dates but I really need to pay my bills and get supplies for daycare. Going forward, here is what we are going to do." And then lay out your new plan. And stick with it

I send home a reminder bill on Tuesday prior to Friday's payday.

Attach late fees to payment not received by 'due date' and 'due time'. I have mine due at drop off (no later than 9 am) the Friday prior to the upcoming weeks of care. $10 late fee per calendar day starting at 9:01
    Do not let the kids in for care until all fees (including late fees) are paid.

If she is late x amount of times, tell her that you will need post dated cheques. Even EMTs can be done same day.

Really, you shouldn't have to beg for money.

Euphoric !
    Simple fix. Impose a late payment fee. My payday is every second Friday and it is at drop off time (not pickup). I start charging $15 per day beginning Friday at noon!

I also have a few parents who are absent minded too lol. I have one that writes me out post dated cheques for 6 months and another who leaves me a book of cheques, I fill out Friday morning and they sign when they drop off.

I have had parents who forget a cheque Friday morning but after paying 1 late fee they make sure they get their >>>> together and I get paid!

I had a Mom like that. I didn't want to get into confrontations with her. She knew she was always late and hated it. So I started sending her an email reminder. At first it was the night before. But then she didn't have time to get to the bank before drop off the next day. So then I told her I will send the email around 12:00 the following day. Then she couldn't say she didn't have time cause she would do it on her lunch or leave work early. This worked well. I wouldn't do this again unless it was someone who had absolutely no other problems. I hope this helps. I did not want to charge her late fees. She had a very stressful important job and I know she didn't do it on purpose. It just happened about every second payment. Good luck. BTW I love electronic transfers. They work wonderfully for me. I do keep some clients just cash basis though cause I like some cash.
    Last edited by Samantha33; 02-15-2014 at 01:35 PM. Reason: afterthought

Postdated cheques. You admit you are not strong in the back bone department so I think cheques are the way to go so then you don't have to worry about imposing late fees.

I just have to say I am no ones secretary. If someone can't remember a regular payment then seriously, they are just lying when they say they can't or have trouble remembering. I can have trouble remembering what I had for lunch today, but my financial obligations, trust me, they are hard to forget as they are for most of us. I just impose the late fees and that usually solves the problem.
    I also, just want to gently remind you that you don't work FOR the client. They are using the services your daycare provides. I think if you start thinking like a business owner it will help you strengthen your back bone. It did for me

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I have dcp like that too ! I really like her but I'm tired of setting up pay day drop offs ! So I started texting everyone , that way no one is singled out ! I just send a reminder Friday is pay day please include pay at drop off time , thank you kind of thing ! I realize it's still chasing abit !!

Outgoing
    Could I get some advice on how to say something without sounding rude? I recently switched from monthly payments to 4 week intervals. It really makes it easier for me, as I report attendance to the province based on their 4 week periods. Two of my daycare families seemed to have made the transition wonderfully. I had emailed a spreadsheet to everyone that included the payment due date and the 4 weeks it covered. It had all the payment dates for the year. They must have all got it, because two families paid on Friday. My other family didn't pay.
    They are also the only family that was paying after the care was provided, which was fine. They've always paid. And I know they aren't the type to rip me off. However, now that I'm licensed, I have to keep things the same for each family. They signed the new policy, so I assume they read it. So if I send an email, I don't want to sound rude. They're a great family. I think maybe there's a miscommunication?

Expansive...
    I do up 2 fee schedules for the year. Each one has 6 months listed with all the care days and fee per day, and a monthly total. They give me 6 months of postdated cheques at a time, and payment options are always the 1st of the month, or divided btwn the 1st/15th of the month.
    That way I'm not hunting them down, and the fees are paid 2 weeks in advance of care in case they decide to skip out. After 5 yrs of doing this, I've never had to chase a parent, and never had a NSF cheque. I guess I'm fortunate.

@superfun- in the future, make sure all families get a paper copy of the new fee/payment changes in person with you summarizing the changes verbally as you hand them the payment schedule. Some people don't check emails daily, and it might be an honest mistake. That being said, make sure your contract has daily late payment fees imposed, so this won't happen again. Take post dated cheques in advance for several months at a time. If payday was Friday, then pick up the phone and let them know that payday was Friday, and they need to dropoff a cheque before care resumes for next week. Refuse entry to the child if they don't pay. Don't worry about being rude, just be direct. You're entitled to be paid on time just like anyone else.

Well my problem has been resolved (hopefully) the mom set up an e-payment and SAYS she has it set up until the end of July when her care needs will change. What a relief I know it was not personal she is just somewhat disorganized but that shouldn't be my problem. Thanks for all the advice, I love this forum and knowing I'm not alone in my job