Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Thoughts on Daycare setup

My daycare is downstairs. "Everything except for lunch and little ones nap upstairs". So I keep all toys downstairs. We come up for lunch time and they get 20 min. t.v. while I warm up lunch and get it ready. Then we eat. Then while I clean up they watch another 20 min. of t.v. (disnery or treehouse) The little ones go for nap upstairs and older ones go downstairs. So I'm wondering if the fact that I don't have toys upstairs is hindering some of the parents decisions to come here. My upstairs is toy free. I don't have any children at home. What do you think about this?

Euphoric !
    There is no problem with what you are doing IMO.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    My daycare is all downstairs too and I don't have children of my own so upstairs is our living space. However, in the morning and afternoon we spend a bit of time up there with the first one or two and last one or two. I have a few toys in my living room now but before they would just watch a bit of tv while we waited for their parents to pick up.

I think what you are doing now is good and I doubt that would hinder parents but really, who knows unless you ask? If you think it is and if you want to change that, why not put a few toys in a laundry basket and keep upstairs. They could even just be stuffed animals, books and a couple of puzzles. The kids will have to clean this up before eating lunch and before going to bed and than you can put it somewhere out of eyesight when it's not daycare hours

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I have a bungalow so I have to have my setup in our living area, one day if we move I'd love to have it on another floor. But I've had comments from parents that they like that the daycare is part of the living space.

Instead of having a bunch of toys upstairs, why not just have a collection of books which the kids can look at. You could also put on some music when you are upstairs. I think it is also a red flag when there are too many toys. That kind of suggests that maybe you rely on the toys instead of involving yourself with the kids.
    I think your set up sounds good too.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

In addition to mimi's suggestions you could alter your morning routine so until every child has arrived you have an activity going on on the main floor. For example, have a small kids ikea table and change up the activity. Playdough, puzzles, building blocks, sensory toys. Anything the kids can play with mostly independently so they can be left for a few minutes while you answer the door without fear of crayons on the wall etc. When you interview you can have it set up for the following morning so parents see the setup and you can explain your daily routine and then lead them downstairs to your playroom. I don't personally think that because you have zero signs of daycare on the main floor that this would put anyone off from bringing their children to you.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    My daycare entrance/exit is right in the daycare downstairs so it makes sense to me to be down there during drop offs and pick ups.

Okay I see. So what is the issue with no daycare toys on the main floor? Your daycare is in the basement as is the entrance so you only feed then on your main floor and they sleep in your upstairs. Has anyone actually told you that they have an issue with your daycare setup or is it just that you are a little anxious and looking for an explanation as to maybe why your spots aren't filling??

Euphoric !
    I agree with Bright Sparks...if the majority of your daycare is downstairs and you don't have any children of your own at home than I don't think any parents would hold it against it you if you don't have toys in your living space.

Expansive...
    It sounds like we are set up pretty much the same ! I have a seperate entrance and all my toys are downstairs . I make lunch upstairs while my helper watches the dcks . We eat downstairs but we come upstairs for naps . The non nappers sit and watch a movie while I have my down time ! I wouldn't worry about not having toys upstairs , I do not even take my parents upstairs as that is my personal space .