Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Toys

Starting to feel at home...

Toys

I've been looking at different toys to buy and was wondering what everyone else does. I tend to buy toys that don't have a lot of pieces. Example: a farm and anything else with more than 6-8 pieces. I try and stay away from these toys, that is until today. I do have lots of little people that have come with trucks and things. Lots of different blocks in their own bin. Today I ventured out and bought a doll house. Lots of pieces. Do you have lots of toys with a lot of pieces and how do you keep them together?
    Last edited by Samantha33; 02-17-2014 at 07:40 PM. Reason: addition

Shy
    I invested in the Ikea trofast system when I first started and it has worked amazing for me. You can choose different size towers and buckets to fit your needs. Would recommend it to anyone but especially someone who has a home daycare.

Euphoric !
    I use the Ikea Expedit shelving...the 4x2 square ones. I have them 4 across and 2 high. The doll house, farm, garage or what ever goes on the top cubby and all the pieces go in the bin below. The bins are large and are not nearly full with the pieces but they keep everything together, sorted and are easy for the little ones to access.

I also use them as room dividers creating various play spaces within the large room.

Euphoric !
    It is good to have lots of pieces for those that really get into a topic or if several children are playing together but it doesn't mean all of the pieces have to be out all the time. Having just a few and then bringing down the extra items is needed saves on cleanup for sure.

Euphoric !
    I only have a certain amount of toys out at any one time. I have the play kitchen and food out all the time and than I have one toy box and a toy shelf with 12 bins that I fill up with a variety of toys and a few floor toys. I do a toy rotation about once a month or more if needed. Sometimes the strollers are out, sometimes the shopping carts, sometimes the rocking toys etc.

I have another toy shelf with 12 bins that I use for storage. I also have a 5 tier storage shelf that I keep books and toys on. I organized all my books and keep them in bins (sorted by themes). I also have a closet that I store all the big toys in.

For example, I have a ton of little people but only one bin at a time. I swap them out to keep them new and interesting for the kids. The same goes for things like barbies, cars, animals, play phones and cameras. I have a lot of the same toys but just different variations and will swap them out instead of having them all out at the same time.

Don't you wish you could see everyone's set up?

I have ikea shelves, as well, open shelves with wicker baskets, and storage baskets. I rotate stuff in and out, too. It's easy enough to get stuff to play with and easy enough for them to clean up afterwards.

Things like Little People: I have the big building out with a few little accessories. If they want more to go with it, they need to get the basket out. When they are done, we clean up before they move on. Same with our dollhouse. All the accessories we just keep in the dollhouse. There are only a few so it's not a big deal.
    At our play kitchen, I rotate the accessories and unfortunately they are limited right now b/c I have a mouther. Babies have a few accessories that are stored in the crib.

I use big storage tubs to rotate stuff but also switch up the playroom so it's 'new' to them again.

My group is all between 15 mos and 2.5 years so it's a lot of reminders but they are getting it

Outgoing
    I also have the expedit shelf from ikea (4x4), with the clear-ish (sort of opaque) plastic containers. I taped pictures of the toys to the inside of each bin to help the kids clean up efficiently. It works pretty well for us.

I have a lot of Melissa and Doug board puzzles, but we keep all the puzzles in zippered laundry bags (the mesh ones you'd use for delicates) to keep all of the pieces together. Our play kitchen has lots of dishes and food to clean up at the end of it, but I think that's unavoidable. One of the bins in the shelf is dedicated to kitchen stuff.

I also have a dedicated block room that is divided by a long baby gate to keep the youngest from knocking over everyone's towers. It helps them keep the blocks in one area, too, as it's sort of self contained.

Quote Originally Posted by 2cuteboys View Post
    I also have a dedicated block room that is divided by a long baby gate to keep the youngest from knocking over everyone's towers. It helps them keep the blocks in one area, too, as it's sort of self contained.
    Love this idea
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Great tips. I too use the Ikea Trofast systems. I have two multi level ones. I bought Jake and the Pirate ship Bucky and the sailwagon. Immediately after I opened it and took everything out I started looking for and counting the little things you put in the canon and had lost two before I did anything. I've searched high and low as I'm a fanatic about losing pieces. Lesson learned. Never open packages with little ones around. I should know this by now.

Euphoric !
    My best advice around toys is this. Buy them used and don't buy things that take a lot of your time to put them together. When I was first getting set up I bought some new toys but quickly learned that going to value village regularly you can get awesome stuff. I also made the mistake of buying some things that the kids need my help to use (a chuggington train set that needs adult assembly every time) these are just frustrating for the kids as they need to wait until you're available and although this teaches them patience I think they get to practice this tons every day already as I am super busy.

I have a lot of toys out but they are all in bins on shelves. I rotate a little bit but mostly just keep certain things always away that they need to ask for e.g. puzzles, board games, trains etc.