Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Sick Mom keeps kid home, no pay.

Hi everyone.
    I think I learned a new lesson this week.
    Her Mom is supposed to be sick for over a week now (stomach issue) and she is keeping the baby with her. At registration I didn't ask her to pay for days off, only for days that the baby is brought to me, and I would never guess that this could hapen. A week off, no pay!
    I had cared for babies before with the same kind of policy and I actually was surprised that those parent brought their kids even when they were off work or some holidays, so I didn't really considered asking for days off payment when I accepted this one.
    I feel so bad and discouraged because this is my ONLY client.
    Is it ok to change that policy at this point? Any similiar experience?

This is why most if not all providers charge for the spot. Not the days used. You just lost a whole week's income from this one client. Whose to say that in future someone won't abuse this policy eg. saying they are sick for a few days a week in order to avoid payment and then having grandma or another family member watch their child.

I would amend your policy ASAP. Tell your client that you cannot afford to do this in future, or, give a 5 day sick leave per calendar year if you want to continue this arrangement. Personally I would put a stop to it.

Euphoric !
    I agree. I charge for the spot and that includes sick days. I can't make a living if I don't charge every time someone stays home due to illness.

If you do the x amount of sick days per year, make sure you keep a record of it and have the parents initial every time they use a day so you don't run into "well I've only used 4 so far and have 1 left" when they really don't.

I think it's fine to change your policy now.

Expansive...
    Yes, amend the contract and make all sick days for children paid.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    The only time I don't get paid is if I'm sick or I take holidays. It's in my contract and we cover that at the initial interview. If they have a problem whatsovever then we're done with the interview.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Samantha33 For This Useful Post:

Do you have a contract with her? If so, when is the contract date until? You should always have a contract with an end date. I date all of mine for 31 December and every January I have a new contract signed (I actually hand the new ones out in November and they are all effective Jan 1st) at that time. I make any changes I need to at that time as well.

Daycare is about paying for a SPOT and not the actual days of care. Every parent should be paying for their child every day they have committed to care, regardless of attendance.

I think, my dear, you have just been hit by the swing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Judy...I love this term. We've ALL been hit by the swing at the beginning. With years of experience comes knowledge. I love this forum that we are all able to learn from others. LoveKids....don't get hit by the swing again