Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Starting to feel at home...
    So I talked to mom, expressed my concerns, and she told me that they figure it is only a topical thing, so a skin reaction, not eating.

I told her that until we knew for sure she was putting her at serious risk, and me as well, and that I couldn't safely care for her until we knew for sure that she didn't have an allergy.

Anyways, she is going home to discuss with dad and will let me know what they are going to do.

I hate doing this. She is such a sweet little thing, too and a great family.

Expansive...
    Good for you !!!

Euphoric !
    I had a child in my daycare before who had a topical reaction to milk. Until he was tested, I didn't feel comfortable giving him milk. Once he was tested they said it is very rare, but he is not allergic to drinking it, only if it gets on his skin he gets red welts. For peanuts, I would probably have done what you did. Maybe you can let them know that if she is not allergic, you will take her back? It might take the sting out a bit.

I would also terminate. It is our job, first and foremost, to keep kids safe. And, well, like you, I could not guarantee that level of safety when it comes to food allergies - ANY food allergies that could potentially be fatal.

I feel for the parents of kids like this but honestly, I can't take on that risk. I would also terminate them and I would honestly tell them why. I would word my letter to be very specific in that I do not feel competent enough with regard to food allergies to keep her safe.