Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pink Eye etc

Euphoric !

Pink Eye etc

Hey,

So in my policies I have that ill children must be picked up etc etc but I find I am a bit more laid back about this and I was wondering what others think.

I had one kid throw up once, her parents were called and she was picked up right a way. and I do send kids home on occasion but I don't stress too much about it as I know that the other kids are already exposed etc. I had one kid go home with suspected croup and he was off for a week but other then him and this one kid that threw up I pretty much wait until pick up time.

A kid comes today and I see some eye discharge shortly after pick up. It looks worse by lunch and her eye looks a bit red. The kids are already exposed so I am not too worried. Have her nap, text parents and they said they will pick her up after nap. I am inclined to have her back tomorrow am once she starts the drops tonight. Am I being negligent or just normal? If my kids get it, they get it...like I said they were already playing together all morning. Thoughts.

Expansive...
    Pink eye is really contagagious and very easy to spread, I wouldn't allow them back until it has cleared up. I had pink eye myself a few years ago and even I couldn't prevent it spreading from one eye to the other. It really sucks to have it too, you don't want to get it.

As a parent, I would be upset knowing that a child was allowed to be at daycare with pink eye.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I am kind of strict about my sick policy and would not allow the child back for a full 24 hours after treatment (so Thursday would be the earliest). Pink eye is really gross and can be hard to get rid of with toddlers because they cross contaminate each other. It also tends to make them irritable because the eye is so itchy.
    I had it a few years ago and it was not something I want to go through again.

Expansive...
    Most centres send the child home immediately, and they can only return 24 hrs after the first dose of antibiotics(if it truly is pink eye) I would send her home immediately and request a doctor's visit to confirm it. If it is not pink eye, then I require a doctor's note stating what the illness is, and if the child is considered contagious or not, and when they can return.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a policy that they are picked right away if they throw up once, have a fever, are too miserable (because of being sick) to participate in daily activities, and any contagious illness...such as pinkeye.
    For things like pinkeye, which is very contagious and very uncomfortable for anyone who gets it, they are not allowed to return unless they have had treatment for it for at least 24 hours.
    I wouldn't want my family or other dck's getting it, or any of the dcp's to find out that I have allowed an infected child stay at daycare.

Outgoing
    My policy is similar to Matt's mom. I had a little guy with a weird rash once and I insisted the parents get a note from the dr confirming that it wasn't contagious before I allowed him back here. I don't have paid sick days in my contract so if I sick I'm out a days pay - most of my clients work for the government where they have paid sick leave, family days, etc that they can use.
    PS- AmandaKT - that sounds really awful - both eyes? Yuck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gravy_train For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Pink eye is something that will spread very fast, especially with children. The more time she is in dc, the more time she has to spread it to the other children. I would have sent her home immediately and not allowed back to dc until 24 hrs after first dose of antibiotics.

I know what you mean about the sick child already being contagious and having spread it but something like this is different...in my opinion anyways

I would also be cleaning and disinfecting all of the daycare and toys so that it doesn't spread to the others and to myself.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    thanks for the feedback. I guess I am a little bit more laid back about kids getting sick in general. My daughter caught hand, foot and mouth disease at a dc centre and I didn't get annoyed that another child "got my kid sick." I figure it comes with the territory of having a little kid and also for them spending their days in a petri-dish of bacteria aka dc. I told the mom to keep her home for 24 hrs as per policy. Letting her stay for her nap though. Doesn't make sense to me to have her go home now as she is sleeping.

Starting to feel at home...
    It's funny, though, when I had pinkeye myself a few years ago, I told the dcp's what I had and if they didn't want to bring them here, then let me know. I had all but one dcp send their kids to me!
    Although most of them were the kinds of parents that would send them here no matter what and never kept them home.

There are variables in our reactions to all sorts of maladies, however, suspected pink eye with oozing is immediate segregation (eg, put in a high chair) and parents are called for pick up.