Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Outgoing

Home daycare with 12 kids

This morning I got a call regarding daycare. This mother proceeded to tell me her son was in a home daycare with 12 kids. I let her know that it was illegal she thought it was okay since there was 2 providers. I told her that the law says only 5 per household. She was shocked.
    I am livid....I have been struggling to get kids in since relocating now I know why. These people only charging $25 a day and breaking all sorts of rules. They can afford to charge $10 less than the norm for the area because they have 12 kids. No wonder good home daycares get a bad rap.
    Parents need to stop worrying about saving $10 a day and instead worry about potentially saving their kids lives.
    I'm absolutely angry, frustrated and heartbroken.

Euphoric !
    Report them. This isn't going to stop unless we speak up. I feel we don't have a right to complain about this unless we help to fix the problem.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I would but I only know that they are located in whitby.

Starting to feel at home...
    I know how you feel. It's very frustrating. I live in a small town and this is the way many many of the providers operate. 8-9 and 12 kids is not uncommon. For those of us who follow the rules to the letter; it's very hard. Unfortunately, money always talks first and since their rate is lower they fill the quickest. Something else that ticks me off is we pay taxes on the little bit we make and they don't even claim it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Samantha33 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I don't think they always fill up first. I would imagine it depends on the area somewhat as well. I'm well over the standard rate in my area and there are some who charge up to $10, $15 less than me....I'm full, they're not. I'm currently doing a waiting list for 2015/16. I really, really think that people who know what the rules are and are choosy about the kind of care their children get will always go for quality over price. I live in an area with a mixed income range and it's saturated with home daycares (several in my neighbourhood alone plus 2 formal daycares on my street). I've found aggressive advertising, keeping on top of what everyone else is doing and offering new 'twists' to business to be very, very helpful. Don't let people like that discourage you. They'll always be out there....but yeah, report them when you can! There are so many different kinds of families out there and we can mould our own businesses to suit any niche market we want. All we can do is continue to improve upon our own techniques and draw in those clients who recognize the differences between low budget and high quality.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I'm full too and I've noticed this one ad on kijijji all the time advertising and she's charging 15 dollars a day. Kinda makes you wonder too what goes on in the house since she is always looking for kids.
    now on a side note, did the lady say if any of the children belonged to the provider. Some of us have alot of our own kids and then throw in daycare kids and then we look like we have a zoo of kids lol!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to momofnerds For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I understand that some provider have kids of their own but these providers had 12 in the same house. The law is that you can have 5 per house plus your own if you are not licensed.. They had two providers amongst 12 kids. I'm pretty sure that 7 of the kids were not the two providers biological kids.

Outgoing
    This is the first time in 4 years I'm looking to fill spots. I relocated to a new city and I guess I have to make a name for myself. I'm advertising constantly with postings on numerous sites, flyers, drop in centers etc.... I have had a lot of inquiries for August and September but that's still a few months away.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    I don't think they always fill up first. I would imagine it depends on the area somewhat as well. I'm well over the standard rate in my area and there are some who charge up to $10, $15 less than me....I'm full, they're not. I'm currently doing a waiting list for 2015/16. I really, really think that people who know what the rules are and are choosy about the kind of care their children get will always go for quality over price. I live in an area with a mixed income range and it's saturated with home daycares (several in my neighbourhood alone plus 2 formal daycares on my street). I've found aggressive advertising, keeping on top of what everyone else is doing and offering new 'twists' to business to be very, very helpful. Don't let people like that discourage you. They'll always be out there....but yeah, report them when you can! There are so many different kinds of families out there and we can mould our own businesses to suit any niche market we want. All we can do is continue to improve upon our own techniques and draw in those clients who recognize the differences between low budget and high quality.
    Yes you are correct. Their are people who care about the quality of care their child receives. Where I live the unemployment is very high and jobs hard to come by, and most at min. wag, therefore more people looking at the dollar. I guess I was just talking about the city I live not where others reside. I am inline with providers who follow the 5 rule and I've had two openings for 6 months!

This really burns me. All this crap about bill 143 is exactly because of situations like the OP describes. Because, historically, EVERY death that has occurred in home daycare in Ontario in recent years due to accident or homicide has been in an illegal daycare. And because of that all daycare is grouped together as "bad" and "illegal" if it is provided for in a HOME. It really bothers me because Bill 143 isn't going to stop this. Illegal daycares and law breakers are not going to suddenly tow the line because of some new law. But we all, those of us doing it right, are going to suffer and pay the consequences through new legislation, for those who really ARE illegal. And this is why now I report every.....single...i llegal daycare situation. I report it because it DOES affect ME.

BTW, I personally think that parents should also be charged with something when they place their child in an illegal or warehousing type daycare. In the past it is only providers who are charged but, IMO, parents should be held even MORE accountable because this is THEIR kid and they are ultimately responsible for keeping their child safe. Start charging parents with neglect or willfully putting a minor in harms way and only THEN will you stop warehousing.

15. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post: