Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

No show for interview??!!

Hello ladies, it's my first post here. I've been enjoying reading all those really awesome posts for a while. I would love to hear your thoughts on this one.
    I got a mother inquiring about a daycare spot for her child. We set up a date for them to come over last week. Only 25 min before our scheduled time, she emailed me saying they couldn't make it to our appointment because her husband was tied up at work. Well, no big deal, things do come up sometimes, I just wish she could had called instead. In the email she also asked for another appointment. Fine, we all need a second chance. So we rescheduled for them to come over this Tuesday night. I also reminded her to give me a call should anything came up. "Absolutely", she wrote. Well, my family and I waited all night, NO CALLS, NO EMAILS, NOTHING.
    They just didn't show up. I emailed her 40 minutes later asking where they are, and she didn't reply. I thought for sure we'll never hear from her again. Then, last night she email me (more than 24 hours after our supposed appointment), she wrote " Sorry about that. We have a lot of daycares to interview. Can we rescheduled? Maybe next week?" That's it!! I couldn't believe my eyes!
    Is this normal behavior?????!!!!

Euphoric !
    Sadly, yes I think it is becoming normal. Society seems to think everyone owes them and they are the most important person around and their time is more important than others. Drives me crazy!! LOL No one seems to be able to put themselves in others shoes and see the other side of the coin!!

At least you know early on what kind of people they are/appear to be?

Euphoric !
    yes unfortunately it is normal for some people. Just think of it as this - you dodged a bullet

Outgoing
    Onto the next one!

I had something similar happen after my first few months opening. Had a wonderful lady email me and we set up an interview right after business hours. In that little bit of time I was scrambling to cook my families dinner and clean up my daycare area. Not fun! This lady didn't show. I waited half an hour then sent an email saying "Its now x:xx and I will take it from your not making it to our interview that was booked for x:xx that you are no longer interested.

Couldn't believe someone would do that either!

Starting to feel at home...
    yup, as Judy would say
    .....NEXT!

All the time! but you never know, so you need to be prepared.

Euphoric !
    It does happen way too often. Some parents in an attempt to find the best daycare for their child adopt a no stone left unturned philosophy and attempt to interview every daycare they can find in their radius. The result is someone as distracted as this parent.

I would probably simply reply with something to the effect of yes I know that finding the right daycare for your child is hard work and I know you only want the best for your child. Please call me next week if you would still like to set up an appointment to visit my daycare.

That way you are not telling them you don't want to see them, you aren't planning on a visit that likely won't happen and it gives the mom time to see everything else on her list so far and then only call you if she is actually interested in continuing to look at more daycares.

Shy
    Thanks everyone!

Playfelt, I would had given her the third chance if she would had let me know that she's not coming that night . Especially after promising she will call if they can't make it "again". I don't think she's distracted like you said, I think she's being very inconsiderate.

Same thing happened to me, twice in one month! I was very disappointed and PO'd. I also sent them an email with no reply. Because of all the crazy people out there, this was an eye opener for me. So now I do not give my phone number, address or appointment time until I speak to the person over the phone directly. Since I started doing this it hasn't happened. Every time I get an email asking to schedule a visit, I reply with general information (hours, fees) and thank them for contacting me. I then say that if they are interested we can schedule a phone call to discuss their needs and my services. I ask them for their phone number and schedule a visit after I've spoken to them. Sometimes they don't reply. I feel much more comfortable since I've started doing this and I haven't had a 'no show' since!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Polkaroo For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I do as Purple Bunny does and hold a phone interview with the parent before having them come in. I review my contract and policies with them on the phone and if they are agreeable then I invite them for an interview.

I also do not advertise my phone number mainly because I want to be able to speak to parents when I am free and on my terms, not when they suddenly call and I am in the backyard with my gaggle of kids.