Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Infant/Toddler snack

I am feeling a tad guilty for the snacks my group has been eating day in and day out. I have all 11-15month olds. Some are struggling with solids (still big on purees and gag/throw up when I give cut up solids). My 11 month old and few others were all baby led weaning so never had purees at all and can manage anything and everything.

I find I have to give just crackery type snacks to accommodate the ones that can't handle "real food". I got sick of cleaning up the vomit. The kids are all more than happy with this, even those that could be eating more advanced foods.

I don't think the parents care, none have said anything. I do send a food log home each day and just cringe when yet again I write puffs, cheerios, rice cakes, etc. I can do triscuits and wheat thins if I sog them up with hummus first, I feel a bit better about that.

Am I over thinking things? When they are a few months older and all are eating better I will be pushing the veggies and dip and such. They get fruit and yogurt and apple sauce with the crackers. They do well with hummus and cheese. It's just the cracker part of the snacks that bug me.

Lunches are fine they eat very healthy, home cooked meals each day as I can cut it up into teeny, tiny pieces for those that need it. The kids are troopers and sit and focus very hard at eating these tiny pieces without complaint they just can't handle good snack foods yet.

Maybe I need to try some home made muffins...but I don't think the gaggers will manage those. Any ideas? Just continue as I am since it should be short term?

Euphoric !
    What about muffins cut up or banana bread? Or whole grain pancakes with yogurt? Maybe give more yogurt and fruit and hold off on the crackers then. They don't necessarily need it. I tend to do a fruit and protein e.g yogurt and fruit, hummus and veg/pita/crackers, cheese and ham cubes. My kids love raisins! I know it's recommended you wait until 2 yrs but I watch them with them their first time and they do well.

Euphoric !
    Plus, if the parents aren't concerned they are probably feeding them the same things at home so I wouldn't worry too much.

Since they are eating well at lunch I wouldn't worry about it. I just make sure the crackers I serve are low fat and no salt. I do home made banana bread which doesn't crumble like some muffins do and I cut them into tiny pieces and yes, I do puree veggies and fruit. Don't worry, soon this stage will pass, but I get your concern.

Starting to feel at home...
    I hear ya on the throw up. Yuck. I always offer the 'real food' and then put a few cheerios on their tray so that something is a least familiar and easy for them. Most of the time it doesn't take very long before they are on to some more options.

Here are some of my go-tos:

grated apple
    avocado
    cut up grape tomatoes, cucumber, peppers (I cut them up really tiny)
    cottage cheese
    hummus
    muffins, banana or zucchini bread
    cheesy bread sticks (made from dough in bread machine.... yum!)
    cheese cubes
    apple sauce
    oatmeal
    toast fingers

Euphoric !
    Those that will handle pieces of food should be given them. The others can be given some cheerios to keep them busy and then you spoon feed applesauce or similar. Should be able to feed two at a time.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Those that will handle pieces of food should be given them. The others can be given some cheerios to keep them busy and then you spoon feed applesauce or similar. Should be able to feed two at a time.
    I prefer to not just give cheerioes for every snack to the ones that can't handle advanced foods. Rather I am trying to give the middle ground (so I only have to prep one meal for all). The ones that can't handle the bigger items get it chopped to tiny bits and the others get it larger.

My problem is some foods just don't work well chopped up or are not the right softness so we have been avoiding them. If my group was large in age range (with some 2-3 year olds) then I would definitely do as you suggested. Since they are only a few months apart then I am trying to do the middle ground to expose the 'less experienced" to a bit more variety and more advanced foods without having to prepare completely different meals.

Lunches work fine because for some reason they can be made to a variety of skill levels with ease on my part.

I did find some recipes and will try out some bean dips and guacamole with crackers instead of just hummus. As well serving more beans and such for protein. I made some muffins but I am doubtful lol. I will try the banana bread that was suggested and it should hold up better. Maybe some pancakes too.

Trying to find a way to balance the exposure to chunks and bigger bits without triggering that gag/barf reflux too much!

Euphoric !
    Any of those foods you are serving for lunch can be served for snack.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Any of those foods you are serving for lunch can be served for snack.
    I don't know if I am brave enough to attempt that. Lunch mess...is a mess. They self feed cabbage rolls, lasagna, soups and stews and casseroles. They are usually covered waist up, the floor, chairs, table. :-) They try...they use plates and forks and spoons and the coordination is just not there at 11-15months. They love the freedom to try, they get a good amount into the belly and are eating a good variety of foods. But, doing that for snacks is a bit too daunting for me :-)

Euphoric !
    I give them banana bread and pancakes too. Pancakes are their favourite. I give them muffins too but cut them in half (top and bottom half) and then cube it. They don't really like muffins though but they are getting better.

I also give them toast, tortilla wraps, english muffins, bagels. Sometimes I bake the tortilla wraps for a bit and they can eat it with applesauce or fruit salad.