So I have 2 kids. My first daughter I just threw her in underwear at 2 and was done with it. She had no interest in potty training but she did it because this is what I expected (plus I was on mat leave #2 and had another baby in diapers so I was done) She got it pretty quickly but she of course had accidents. She was definitely more on a "schedule" in the beginning (rather then initiating it herself) but she learned to hold it in between pee's and then started to go independently. She was completely trained during the day by 2.5 (still wears a Pull up at night).

My second daughter (just turned 2 in Jan) has shown interest and at 20 mos I put her in underwear and went for it. She was able to pull her own pants up and down etc and was excited about potty training. She just doesn't seem to get it like my first daughter. I think part of it is I have less time with the daycare but when she is in underwear with a plastic pant she just pees in them and tells me afterwards. She has her poops on the potty though. She is still interested in potty training but she hasn't figured out when she needs to go. She will pee on the potty tons when I put her on but in between she won't initiate. I recently put her in Pull up's because I felt the constant peeing in her underwear was discouraging for both of us and she was loosing interest/feeling unsuccessful. I feel like we may have taken a step backwards but she still goes on the potty when I initiate it, the difference is, no mess! what would you do? I was thinking about putting her back in underwear in a month or so but I don't want to keep confusing her. Thoughts?