Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ugh....monday!!

Euphoric !

Ugh....monday!!

Hi ladies, I am just needing some support sent my way!

New boy started last week and was here only mornings for 4 days. Today is his first day that he is going to be a full day. He is still crying for most of the morning. He starts about 20 minutes after mom leaves and cries most of the time other than his 1 hour nap in the morning. I have a huge headache and cannot wait for this day to be over!! I know it takes time but this is the longest I have had a child take to transition! I am dreading nap time this afternoon.

Send your happy thoughts my way!! I hate days like this, it makes me want to get a job and go back to work lol!

Euphoric !
    Headphones! Best advice I ever got. I put a movie on and try to drown it out. It is still not sound proof or as relaxing as when they sleep well but it takes some of your edge off.

Euphoric !
    what do you do the rest of the day lol! that is the part I have the hardest time. I don't mind when they are crying in their playpen it is the time in the playroom that drives me crazy

Starting to feel at home...
    I had this 2 weeks ago! Dcb started with 2 half days and then the weekend, and then full days. He started screaming from the time he was dropped off, until the time he was picked up, minus naps times. He has a 2 hour nap in the morning (6am-8am) and a 2 hour nap in the afternoon (12-2).

Mid last week, he decided to settle a bit. He will cry periodically throughout the day, but all in all, a HUGE difference from his first week. HOWEVER, his morning nap dropped to about 45 minutes and his afternoon nap involves him waking every 15 minutes screaming and waking up dcg. When he passes back out, she started screaming...lol

I guess you win some and loss some! But rest assured, the screaming SHOULD stop soon!

Euphoric !
    I have never had this problem (knock on wood) so I am not the best to offer advice. I spend a lot of time outside which makes even the grumpiest kid happier I find and it helps with my mood too. I tend to ignore the crying more then anything (with the occasional hug) and they learn to go and play.

Euphoric !
    This little guy is only 11 months and doesn't crawl but will walk holding onto furniture. So just leaving him to go and play isn't really an option. I am not about to hold him all day either! I think he gets that at home! lol

I have been spoiled and haven't had that much trouble transitioning kids in. Going to be a very long week.

Euphoric !
    Is he calmer in your arms or still crying? I have had some children stop that just needed to cry. When they were crying I had to leave them...as even looking in their direction would set them off. For some reason just leaving them to sit on the peripheral of the room watching (even when crying) seemed to keep them the calmest.

I do have extra snack times during the first week or so...and simple easy foods as I find they often eat little and when they are upset, tired AND hungry everyone suffers all the more.

At 11 months they can be left, with toys nearby, out of the middle of the commotion but where they can watch. Rotate the toys he has in reach every 20min or so if he allows it.

If holding him does calm him then set up a routine of some sort...hold for 5min while doing something then 15min on his own. Have him sit on your lap while you are seated. I make a point of not holding the children on my feet as I find it sets all the kids off (11-15months) they all come stand at my feet wanting up. They seem unsettled when I am up like I am leaving or something. If I am seated they play independently and come in for quick hugs as needed.

Wear foam ear plugs in one ear (the side you hold him in)...it can help muffle the sound but still allow you to hear the others.

Euphoric !
    It doesn't matter if I hold him or not, I prefer not to get the kids into a habit of being held.

Nap is going well actually.

I know it is short term but not helping the headache today!

Starting to feel at home...
    I feel the same way! Mondays can be a nut house here as the dcks are overtired from the weekend. My son has been sick and cries whenever I put him down. At 20 months obviously I can't hold him all the time, nor do I want to! Nap time could not come early enough for me today!

Expansive...
    I had an 13 month old , who would cry till he hyperventilated or threw up ! I would pop him in the playpen with toys and play with the other kids . He could see us , be with us but have time to calm . He was hyper sensitive to sounds and anything , outside siren example or a toy would have him in hysteria . He napped poorly and I tried for a month and found it just wasn't getting any better , so I termed . I wish you luck !!! Hopefully your dck settles in !!!!