Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Bringing toys, blankets, etc

Hi
    Just wondering what everyone's policy is on children bringing toys, blankets, jewellery etc with them in the AM. I have a couple dc that bring tons of stuff, then end up losing some of it along the way and then when the parents come to pick their children up, they want me to start tearing apart my playroom to find the toy that was lost.
    I have always had it in my contract that I have enough toys, books, craft supplies etc. that children do not need to bring anything, but I always get that one or two families that bring things when their children come. Gets very frustrating.

Outgoing
    I have a policy that I allow 2 toys per child. I only have the occasional toy brought here recently but years ago I had a girl that is the reason for this policy. She would bring a bag full of toys but one time after informing the parents about this policy she brought 2 back packs stuffed with toys!

I allow toys from home and most of the time I give them back the same day or some days after and it's not a big deal for parents. My only policy about it is that I am not responsible for lost or broken toys brought from home.

You could also make your policy not to bring toys from home and enforce it or I take them away as soon as dck arrive and give them back at the end of the day, for the trouble making families. I wouldn't be driving myself crazy at the end of the day looking for toys.

I have it in my contract that aside from a "lovey" that is put away until nap time that no toys etc are to be brought in. If they are they are confiscated at the door until home time. I have had DCK's scream bloody murder when they are expected to share so it is an absolute NO!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to madmom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I ask that all children bring a blanket for napping. It is left here and I wash them with my other dc laundry. Some used to take theirs home to wash but they all eventually stop that lol.

I prefer if toys are kept at home but they are allowed to bring them (within reason) IF the child and the parent understand that it will get shared and maybe even broken/lost. If a home toy is not being shared it goes away and they can not bring it back. I have only had one child who brought toys to dc on a regular basis. I have had 2 others bring them occasionally and it's usually never a problem.

If they bring an ipad, ipod etc it is only allowed during quiet time.

I allowed toys brought in a backpack, but only 1 toy is allowed out at a time. Once you put that toy back, then you are allowed to take another one out. That being said, any toys that are brought to daycare MUST be shared. The moment that it is fought over, it goes away. On PA days when I have my school aged children, they are allowed to bring their 'electronics', only to be played at nap time, or if we are doing a 'younger child activity or craft'.

If the toy goes missing during the day, the child goes home without it. I often come across it during my end of the day tidy, and send it home the next day. I am not responsible for any broken toys as things happen and I warn parents about it before they bring it.

Outgoing
    I have all toddlers here who are not all on the same page with sharing quite yet.
    When one arrives with a doll, blanket etc, it MUST stay in their cubby until nap. I make a point of saying to the child in front of their parent "Okay xxx lets put your xxx in your cubby until naptime" and if they cry they cry. Then at naptime we go out to my mudroom all together and each one gets their toy for nap. After nap we walk back out to the mudroom and put it back in their cubby until home time.

Expansive...
    At my dck ages it causes arguments ! The dck who brought the toy gets very upset when someone else plays with 'their' toy ! So as soon as drop off is done , I just put it in their bag . That way I'm not trying to find a last minute toy !! Blankies are used for nap or if they need to comfort themselves !

No toys from home. Period. Blankets for nap come on the first day and stay here and only come out at nap time.

I used to be more lenient but there were too many issues so it's just easier to not even offer the option.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nschildcare For This Useful Post:

My policy is one blankie. Of course this is abused by some. I have one parent who doesn't want the hassle of saying the dreaded word "no" to their child, so the child comes in with an entourage of blankies and stuffed animals. I have mentioned to this parent that I can not and will not spend my time making sure this child has all their stuff with them to no avail, so now when the door closes, except for one blankie, everything else goes in a bag for home......and the child has no problem with it. Parents just use all this "stuff" as a comfort crutch instead of directly dealing with their child. Ugh

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post: