Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Closing - when to give notice?

I have an ultrasound booked for this week that will hopefully confirm that all is well with my pregnancy! Once I have a concrete idea of how far along I am I will start preparing for my closure. I would like to give my families enough time to find a replacement and to ensure that there are no hard feelings, but I also don't want to give them too much notice so they'll leave earlier than I've budgeted for ...
    This is also my third pregnancy and I suspect that I will be showing in the next few weeks.
    Any advice or suggestions?

Outgoing
    CONGRATS GravyTrain that is wonderful!!!

Do you mean that you are closing for the pregnancy entirely or just your maternity leave closing plans?

I am currently 37 weeks with #5 so I was showing at 8 weeks LOL. I wore the baggiest loosest clothing that I could but my parents still had guessed.

I told all my parents after I had my 12 week ultrasound. I sent out a letter saying how I was expecting and when my due date was. Mentioned that hubby would be taking parental leave for 6 months to help out but that I would be open and the main caregiver for all of the daycare children. For appointments, I would be booking end of the day (if possible) and during naptime so not to inconvience anyone. My mother in law or my mother come and hold down the fort for those appointments I make during naptime.

Good luck to you!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sassygirl For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Are you closing for good?

Expansive...
    Woo hoo!!!!!

I assume you plan to close for good. That's a bit trickier since you obviously want them to stay as long as possible and they need to secure other daycare. I guess I would just wait as long as I could and then let everyone know, hope for the best but expect families to leave earlier than I would like!

Congratulations!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    yes unfortunately if you are closing for good I imagine they would all go as soon as they found somewhere else to go. Leave it as long as you can

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If you are closing for good that's a tough call!! I have had a few come to me from other dc's that have closed and they have said that they would like to stay with current one until she closed and were looking at a start date of xxx. Sometimes it has worked out and sometimes it hasn't. I guess it depends on what kind of parents you have and what kind of relationship you have with them.

I would want to give them enough time to find another dc but also want them to stay with me until the end. It will depend on how hard finding dc is in your area too. I would likely give them my end date and say how much I would appreciate them staying with me but would also understand if they needed to leave before that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thank you everyone!
    My fingers and toes are crossed that everything goes well with my ultrasound :-). I will be closing for at least one year while I'm on maternity leave and most likely for good. I have a herniated disc in my back which has caused me problems in the last trimester with my last pregnancies so I am planning for the same this time around. This means that I would close when I'm about 6 months pregnant.
    I really admire the strength and skill that you all have to do this profession long-term but it really isn't for me at this stage of my life. I sometimes wonder if I would be better equipped as a daycare provider if I had started when I was younger.
    I think the plan will be to 1) make sure everything is okay and confirm my due date; 2) not tell anyone for as long as I can 3) give at least 2 months notice but be prepared to have them leave ASAP.
    What would you suggest I ask of my clients regarding them giving me notice that they're leaving. I hold a two week non-refundable deposit so was thinking I could require at least two weeks notice an stipulate that the deposit will not be refunded but instead applied to the last two weeks of care?

Outgoing
    @sassygirl - I am full-time in stretchy pants right now. I can't stand the pressure that jeans places on my abdomen. I actually erupted in tears on Saturday morning when I realized that I can't wear my favourite jeans anymore - it feels like I JUST lost the weight from my last baby.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gravy_train For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Oh dear....I feel for you! I started showing very quickly with my second!

Re:deposit....that's exactly how I use my deposit, I never give back money!

Euphoric !
    Others may not agree but you need to look out for yourself. The families will be fine and find someone. I would not be honest personally about your plans to close at all. I would let them know the exciting news about your pregnancy when it becomes too hard to hide any longer and if they ask about your plans with the daycare let them know you plan on staying open until the end of your pregnancy at which time you will take a yr maternity leave. Then when you are 4 mos along, give parents 2 mos notice letting them know that you are closing in 2 mos due to health issues. They don't need to know that the health condition was preexisting (herniated disc).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post: