Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Opening in just a week and worried about wether I have everything!!

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this and I have a daycare friend that says this is a great spot for questions and answers.
    My home daycare opens in just under a week and I'm worried I don't have everything I might need. Any helpful suggestions on how to keep track of what is needed or maybe things you wouldn't think of needing but did?
    Thanks for the help

First rule of daycare - have a contract
    Second rule of daycare - apply the contract at all times

Did you get the first rule? HAVE A CONTRACT!

If you don't have one I would be happy to send you mine. Simply PM me with your email address.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    also in that contract make sure and get paid in advance!! so payday this Friday for the following 2 weeks of care!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    How many kids will you start with the first week? I opened beginning of January and I am still adding to my must haves. I eased the kids in one at a time and everyday realized there was more I needed to function smoothly and with ease.

As long as you have food, diapers and sleep covered the rest will fall into place with some time. As the others mentioned that contract is crucial. One of my families is a lawyer and the dad was thoroughly impressed with how my contract covered everything that could possibly arise. I'm sure things will arise and I'll be adding to it but it sets the tone for the families. The prepaid care is important too. So many issues are prevented with having them pay the Friday for the following 2 weeks of care. I also get post-dated cheques so I don't have to hunt down my pay.

Also, remember that the first week(s) of transitioning kids in can be really, really hard. Don't second guess yourself just based on the tears. In time things should calm and the fun begins.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Can I jump in on this?
    I am opening in July and have a contract but would love to see someones just to make sure I have everything i need.

Expansive...
    Most things will just fall into place as you go along. You will probably find yourself needing this or that and running to the store frequently in the nest few weeks lol. Most importantly like others have said is to have a good solid contract in place and either get paid in advance or have the parents give you a security deposit. Stick to your hours, don't give anyone special treatment or they will walk all over you. And like Judy said apply the contract you have in place!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Definitely a parent package of policies/rules/contract is a must!! My parent package includes two contracts (one for me, one for them both signed by us all), sick policy, child info sheet, permission forms, payment sheet with dates and stats listed and I also include a copy of the medication form I require before administering meds and an incidental form so they know what to expect to sign if their child ever has an accident/injury here.

Like Lee-Bee said, as long as you have the basics you are ready. The rest will come as you go along and learn the children's personalities. I will list a few, most you will likely have though

Meals/snacks...bibs (I like the plastic kinds as I can wipe them down all week or wash in sink and than wash on weekend in machine. I don't really like the hard plastic ones though but one child uses it), highchair/booster seat/child sized seat depending on what table you have and what ages of children you currently have (I started off with a highchair and a couple boosters on kitchen chairs and a small kids sized table. I now have an extra wide coffee table from Ikea as my table and Ikea kritter chairs and children even as young as 12-14 months sit on them but I did keep a booster just in case), plastic bowls and kid sized cutlery, I ask that parents send a sippy cup but I provide all other cups, I have a mixture of bowls and plates to suit the food of the day or the child (bowls/plates with rubber on the bottom work great for those who are clumsy or like to throw their dish on the floor)

Sleeping...again, depending on the age of children will determine what you need. I started off with playpens but now have 4 playpens, 2 nap mats and 2 cots to accommodate any age. I ask that they bring a blanket from home for comfort reasons but I also have a stash on hand. I also bought a darkening curtain for the nap room and this really helps!! I started with just an audio baby monitor but now have a video one to help me supervise what's going on in there lol. I use the music channels on tv for soothing music when needed but if that's not an option you might want a radio or cd player in there.

Diapering/Toileting...I supply no extra diapers and wipes so parents are responsible for bringing these, I send a text when they are low. I use a long 6 drawer dresser as my change pad. The change pad sits on top (usually I move it to the bed though) and each child has a drawer to keep diapers/wipes/extra clothes/creams in. I started off with just a small potty but now have one inside, one outside and a 2 in 1 potty seat on the toilet. Lots of soap haha!!

Art...started off with just the basics like paper, crayons, paint but have added so much to it that it takes over my laundry room! lol

Toys/Books/puzzles...started off with just the playroom toys and books but have expanded to toys in every available closet and corner it seems! Started with young toys as that was my group and have slowly added more and more to each age group.

When I look back at old pictures of my daycare it is amazing to me to see how far I have come. I used to keep toys and books in baskets, had the bare necessities, nothing on the walls etc. It really is a work in progress and I am constantly finding things that will make life easier and buying new things. Good luck and have fun!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I do have a solid contract and started with just 2 part time a only 1 full time, however the ages are 6month, 1 year and 2 year. I think first couple weeks will be a challenge