Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Starting to feel at home...

In your opinion.....

If someone has 5 or more daycare children, unlicensed, unregistered with the gov't, (therefore paying no taxes and giving no receipts) would they be considered illegal in your eyes. I feel they are still illegal in that all revenue needs to be reported to the gov't. regardless of the number of children in care. With all the talk about bill 143 I'm just wondering what others thought are on is.

Outgoing
    Yes I would consider them operating illegally if they are not providing receipts. However I had 5 dc kids, I was not registered or licensed. I claimed all my taxes and provided receipts. You do not have to be licensed or registered with the gov to pay taxes. You are simply self employed which does not make me an illegal dcp.

Euphoric !
    Working under the table, in any profession, is illegal. But being unlicensed does not mean working under the table unlicensed daycares are perfectly legal if they meet ratios and claim their income.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I'm not familiar with all the provinces and their rules but is this person classified as a daycare provider or a babysitter?

Isn't it odd that there are no rules for babysitters? If they aren't providing receipts are the parents claiming it? A dcp during the day has rules to follow but can babysit as many kids as she wants during off hours so that is why I ask what she is classified as.

Starting to feel at home...
    These are my feelings exactly. I didn't realize there were different classifications for a babysitter and dcp. I'm not sure what she is. She doesn't give receipts but I'm not sure if parents are claiming it. If parents are claiming it the shouldn't the government pick up on this. Ex. she's not reporting income but parents claim she is charging for a service? 5LM Also, what is the difference in classification between a babysitter and daycare provider?
    Last edited by Samantha33; 02-28-2014 at 05:46 AM.

Euphoric !
    A parent can only claim the costs of childcare while they are working so paying a babysitter to go out for dinner doesn't matter to the government.

Not giving receipts or claiming income is a federal jurisdiction thing because it involves taxes and Revenue Canada. What we are dealing with now is provincial legislation and how childcare is administered.

Euphoric !
    Even informal babysitters technically have to claim their income. Even young teen babysitters working an hour here and there are supposed to claim the income. Whether or not the parent is able to claim it as well doesn`t matter any income is supposed to be reported and taxed. Your average 13year old won`t make enough in a year to be taxed but still needs to claim it. I would suspect most don`t.

Shy
    Hi all! I am new to this forum and glad to hear that some of you are going through what I have been over the last six years. I have five dck's and claim everything since operating an unlicensed daycare is still providing me with a "job" during the work day. Babysitting is typically done for a few hours and is usually in the evening to give parents a "break" or "date night" whereas being a daycare provider you are working ten hours a day everyday.