Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

I don't know anymore

So I don't know what to do anymore. I had posted about not knowing what to do with my life a couple of months a go and making the difficult decision to go back to work outside the home etc. I had planned to do daycare until Sept when my oldest goes to kindergarten as I would also be loosing half my clients to kindergarten. I am really good at this job but I have moments I hate it and others where I can't imagine closing up shop. I think not having anything to "go back to" is something that leads to this uncertainty about my life.

I had recently started thinking about continuing to do daycare until my youngest starts school in 2.5 yrs but now I don't know anymore. One of my first clients just gave notice (and I thought he was with me for sure until Sept) and I hate the uncertainty of it all. Just venting...Financiall y it makes more sense to keep doing daycare but I don't know...

Outgoing
    I think everyone goes thru this. How long have you been doing daycare, I found that if you can make it to 7 years it does get easier. All my kids are in school now, and now in 2 yrs my odd will be in university. I had my fair share of ups and downs too. Also, another thing that I found was as the kids were in school, they became more needy. I'm the taxi driver now and chauffer even to a bunch of highschool kids, and then I go to the school for events or assemblies. And my kids love that I'm home, they come home to tell me what happened at school or if homework has to be done, dinner is done early. So I would wait till the end of the year and then decide what to do. Just wait and see how school is for your child.

Shy
    Hang in there! Sometimes it feels like a struggle but try to do some advertising and see how it goes. I am not saying it will be easy. I have been doing this for six years now and it is truly a roller coaster ride, financially speaking, but think of the benefits it would have for your own kids to have you home. Good luck!

Outgoing
    oh, tonite my odd is in a play thru the highschool and she says to me "don't forget intermission is at 830" that means that she expects to see me there, I've now been to all the shows last week and this week (tommorrow is the last one)

Expansive...
    I think you and I both have been going through this. I also just recently had one of my newer clients tell me they got a call from the daycare center close by and are going to check it out but the spot is for September (ummm....thanks for telling me you are shopping around?!?! Do you want me to beg you to stay or something!?!?). On top of that we had water in the basement which was my playroom for the daycare so I had to move that upstairs etc. *sigh* none of this helps when I have been thinking for a while that I am done with daycare! But I have made the decision to stick it until September 2015 when my youngest starts school and in the meantime I am going to take some courses online to prepare for my new job. It's been wonderful to be home with my kids and raise them myself and daycare has been great in so many ways but once both mine are in school I am done. Done with diapers, tantrums, transitions, getting ready for bus stop twice per day and done with idiotic parents! It helps a lot once you can just make a decision on your time frame and when you will be done.

I think of all us could have written your post at one time or another. And yes, it does get easier the more years you put into your daycare. The longer you are in it, the easier it seems to get , Clients come by word of mouth, You start to multi-task in ways you could never imagine you did years ago, Transitions, behaviour problems, idiotic parents....it all becomes part of the job and you simply roll with the punches and use your years of experience to grab the bull by the horns and handle yourself with professionalism and above all know that you are the BOSS of your own business.

That trumps all crappy days/weeks I go thru. See how you feel a month from now. My youngest is going to JK this Fall.That means all 3 of my children will be in school full time. I could go out to work again in a career I previously loved, but after year 3....I started to love my job. And even though my kiddos are in school, It's wonderful to have mornings/afterschool/P.A. days/Holidays/sick days with them. I could not do that if I was working outside my home.

Outgoing
    Just wanted to add that there will always be negatives in many jobs. At least we have the power to get rid of the client if they're a pain but you're stuck with awful co-workers that you may have to work closely with. Right now my job seems to be more stable than my hubbies. Hopefully his work will be picking up shortly.