Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Sensory activities for little ones that eat everything???

I"ll freely admit I am at a loss. I love to have sensory activities in the sensory table (Ie. sand, rocks, dirt, etc) but have a group of little tots right now and they eat everything! My child most of all. Lol. He smiles at me as he crunches the sand. Ugh.

I always have the water table outside for play time but I'd love to get something in the "sand" table but am at a loss as to what to use. I used blocks recently but the kids just threw them onto the floor. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Euphoric !
    I caught one chomping on a rock yesterday and when I tried to get it out of his mouth, he bit me!! Kids lol

Have you considered feathers, big macaroni, cloud dough (baby oil and flour), pieces of felt/fur/sandpaper/ any fabric? Mine love a combo of macaroni or rice with measuring cups, paper cups, pie plates, little cars and little people.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Oh big macaroni! I tried the cloud dough too but my little angel wouldn't stop eating it. I joke I'll see him on that TLC show "My Strange Addiction" one day...
    Going to try oatmeal too. Maybe sandpaper would teach my baby not to eat that stuff.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chenderson For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Honestly just skip it! when they are too small and eat everything then they don't get to do it yet. I don't do many arts and crafts or sensory bin stuff with kids under 2.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Normally I agree with mickyc but on this, I respectfully disagree....kids are taught and learn better/quicker when they are exposed to things. Take the necessary precautions to make things safe and make sure you are constantly supervising. When they turn 2 they don't just magically know what to do. We work with multi-age groups and I'd rather "train" them all at the same time. Kids that start with me young grow up here knowing the rules. I of course do age appropriate things but I try not to limit the young ones experiences. I may alter the things in the sensory bin/art activity to be appropriate to my current group though.
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 08-07-2014 at 10:01 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have 2 that eat enough dirt, rocks and bark and drink enough dirty pool/water table water! That's enough sensory stuff for me to clean up after! Lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    Normally I agree with mickyc but on this, I respectfully disagree....kids are taught and learn better/quicker when they are exposed to things. Take the necessary precautions to make things safe and make sure you are constantly supervising. When they turn 2 they don't just magically know what to do. We work with multi-age groups and I'd rather "train" them all at the same time. Kids that start with me young grow up here knowing the rules. I of course do age appropriate things but I try not to limit the young ones experiences. I may alter the things in the sensory bin/art activity to be appropriate to my current group though.
    But is it worth it if all they do is stick everything in their mouth? There are so many other things you can do, if all that happens is that they put it in their mouth then I would just wait a few months. It isn't a missed opportunity, it is just waiting until they are developmentally ready to fully appreciate the activity. When you have several kids at once it isn't always easy to see what they're all doing at one time - as you know. They can be so fast in putting things in their mouths, especially when they know you don't want them to do it. I'd rather save myself the headache and wait. I have a now 2 year old dcg that put EVERYTHING in her mouth last summer and now she is totally fine and I can trust her to actually PLAY in the sandbox - not just fill her mouth with sand. :-)

I do lots of sensory stuff, but the idea of putting a bin full of oatmeal in front of little ones that are just going to stuff it in their mouth just sounds exhausting.

I have done sensory bags, which might be a possibility. Fill a ziplock bag with hair jell or jello and then put a bunch of different fun objects inside. They can squish the bag around and get a sensory experience with no mess.

What about changing up the water table activities. Give them lots of cups, buckets, measuring spoons so they can dump and pour. Give them baby dolls so they can give them a bath, etc.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I still think it's worth it. I prefer to teach them at an early age but that is just my preference. Also, I am in MB and private so I have 4 children. What is possible for me to do might not be for someone with 7 or 8 kids.

Sensory bags/balloons are a great way to adapt the sensory bin for younger children!

Thanks for all of the opinions!! I'm in BC and therefore can only have 2 in addition to my own (as I am unlicensed) and so I am able to be there, but don't hover constantly and like them to explore. I was laughing this morning at the beach with a day off and my boy was quietly snacking on sand. I don't know how they can stand it! Blah.

Ultimately, I will give a few new options a try as I personally get bored and want them to experience new things too. Thank god for the water table.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to chenderson For This Useful Post:

My provider uses the sensory bags AmandaKDT mentioned. I recommend ducktaping the end if you are making it more a permanent activity. I have also seen tubes with water and rocks or other items that they can lift and turn and watch the movement. They do use water and sand, but all really little stuff is for the kids 3+.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SillyGirl_C For This Useful Post: