Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Challenging dcb

Starting to feel at home...

Challenging dcb

I have an almost 4 year old boy in my care who is becoming more of a challenge every day. He has only been with me since November with his 1yo brother and I find his behavior a little strange. I could use some insight from other dc providers and suggestions about what to do with him.
    He is not a napper which is fine, however I have to insist on quiet in the afternoons as there are 3 sleeping including 1 in the playroom (gets into trouble in bedrooms alone) so we have the TV on or movies. He is obviously bored and I have suggested coloring, no, magnetics, no, color wonder, no so essentially he doesn't care to do anything but I think I feel a little guilty. I think he might do work books but his inclination is for me to do it for him. No thanks
    He is also only interested in pretending he is a jungle animal the rest of the day. He rarely plays toys but gallops around the playroom roaring (cause he's a tiger/leopard/lion) He rarely engages the other children to play with him even when we are at playgroup he will try to get them to play "animals" with him but when they aren't interested he will just go off by himself. I have never had a child like this in my care and find it hard to find stuff for him to do. Any advice would be very appreciated

Euphoric !
    What about rolling with it and doing a unit on jungle animals? Role playing, books, puzzles, toys, art... all animal related.

I also had a 4 year old who didn't nap and yes, there were naptimes she was bored but the options to do quiet activities were there. Some days she chose those some days she choose tv. I am lucky that my other half works evenings so there would be times that she and I would go out during nap time and do something fun or even just run a couple errands. Just as children age out of daycare centres, children also age out of hdc. Soon he will be in school fulltime and hopefully won't be as bored and will be able to focus that energy on a more structured learning environment.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post: